What Salt Are You Currently Using?

George Monnat Jr

Salt Mixes  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My bucket of Instant Ocean Reef Crystals (IO RC) is about empty, so I want to buy more. I do buy SW from a couple of different LFSs, including Tropic Marin mix from RCA, but I like to have salt on hand. I like to be able to boost salinity either when I'm adding LFS SW with lower salinity than my DT or I don't have any SW on hand but I have RODI that I can make into SW. I guess the IO RC has been ok for me. I've had dino, cyano and GHA since I started using it, but I can't blame it all on the salt mix. How do you like yours?

Been using seachem aquavitro salinity. no gripes, and the bucket is awesome (has some sort of zip close/button to open). It is pretty expensive though, I bought mine at aquatek. I'm switching to RCSP just for fun when this bucket is out, because god forbid i keep something constant :)

Been using IORC since I got my tank a year ago. Thinking of switching. The salt alone is no longer enough to keep my levels boosted between water changes so I've began using kalkwasser and dosing magnesium.

Considering switching to just plain IO sea salt to save a little cash since I'm now dosing and kalk is cheaper than salt. I'm down to my last 50 gallon bag of reef crystals so decision time is coming soon for me.

Switched from Instant Ocean to Red Sea Coral Pro. Very happy with the switch, used IO for the first year and I'm going on two years with the RS Coral Pro. The difference in nuisance algae was very noticeable after the switch and why I have stuck with the Coral Pro salt. Besides the enhanced growth polyp extension and clarity it provides as well.

Red sea coral pro here too. Seems to be a good salt, the only complaint I can think of is it leaves much more sediment/debris/something on the pump, mixing container, and tubing than the other brands I've used. Doesn't seem to hurt anything though. I'm happy with it.

I use IORC 95% of the time but have used the boxed saltwater from Petco in my FOWLR tanks. Being able to get water in the middle of nowhere on Sunday afternoon was super convenient. Didn't notice any difference in the tank, positive or negative, from using it.

Thank you for the information, everyone. I wanted to switch from IO RC to eliminate it as the or a cause for my cyano and GHA as both happened after I started using IO RC. I was thinking of switching to Red Sea Pro, but after the comments here I just ran to AquaTek and bought a tub of Seachem aquavitro salinity™ (not sure how they are trademarking the word "salinity"). I bought the 850L/225g bucket. It's rather pricey and weighs a ton. I'm used to carrying about 120 lbs of SW, but it's half on each arm with nice handles in 7g jugs. The salinity bucket is 65.5 lbs with a rather crappy handle. Like victoly said, the bucket (besides the handle) is really nice.