DE MH bulbs

cMidd

Any cheaper bulbs you prefer Tim?

Really not trying to spend $55x2 every 6months. In reality I will upgrade to LED once I have all the parts I need to build my own. Just not sure about spending $110 on bulbs that I will change in 6months anyway.

ive heard plusrite but i personally havnt used them and how the color is, been wanting to try some myself, and i use the phenoix 14k and only change once a year , with no ill affect on growth or anything

Edited by kingjames420

I have never used the 150 watt version of the plusrites but I have used both the SE and DE versions (currently using) of their 20k bulbs. I have had no issues for 2 years now and run a predominantly SPS tank with zoas. I think my colors are great but that opinion is obviously biased. I know when I used to run the reeflux 12k bulb, I felt like I had slightly better colors but not $120 worth it better. I am happy with my cheap bulbs and I will speak for my corals and say they are happy too.

One thing, the phoenix bulbs are known for an overly blue color than most bulbs and plusrites seem to be on the opposite spectrum. Meaning, a 14k phoenix bulb looks almost 20k while a 14k plusrite bulb looks almost 10k. For sure get the 20k plusrite but it may be way less blue if your eyes are used to phoenix bulbs. It will look crisp white with a hint of blue.

I used to buy the SE 250-watt plusrite 20ks from 1000bulbs.com. When I made the switch to DE 250-watt plusrite 20k bulbs, I bought them from Affordable Aquatic Supplies as 1000bulbs.com didn't carry the DE version. Affordable Aquatic Supplies' website is currently down for maintenance but it was up yesterday. I don't know if they carry 150-watt but I thought I saw 150-watts yesterday. Once the website is back up, I can check.

Here is a link regarding an ebay seller that carries the plusrites. I was never comfortable ordering from him as you have to ask him specifically to give you plusrites but others have had success.

http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/23701-plusrite-mh-bulb-group-buy-16ea/

Great. Glad to be of help. Hopefully you will like the color off the 20k's. I am a big fan of mine.

KingJames - Thanks for the comment. I can't find them locally but just look at my post for the link to where I got my bulbs. I replace mine without fail every 6 months as I don't trust the bulbs to not start shifting spectrum after that time period.

-Ty

I've tried the Plusrite 250 watt DE 20,000K to replace some Phoenix 20,000K and was unimpressed. They were definitley bright but next to Phoenix 14,000K they were definitely whiter where the Phoenix 20,000K were noticably bluer than the 14,000K