ATO lesson learned

esacjack

I noticed over the last few days, the occupants of my tank were a bit on the distressed side. I wasnt sure what was going on, with Nitrates at near 0 and 0 ammonia/nitrites. I decided to check my salinity off schedule (i generally check once a week) and it turns out my salinity was at 1.018! At that exact moment I heard the ATO kick on for a few seconds, then stop. I then heard a gurgling noise, the tell tale sign of back siphoning. I knew I'd cut a hole in the ATO tubing above the water line to prevent this very thing. But then I noticed my media bag had somehow shifted and was causing water tension across the output nozzle of the ATO. Sure enough, seconds later, the ATO kicked on and then stopped, only to start back siphoning. I shut off the ATO and tested the salinity of my ATO water which should be zero. It was sitting at 1.015! Proof the system was back siphoning into the ATO container. To resolve, I cut the return hose from the ATO shorter by a 1/4 inch so that it is drastically above the waterline. My only concern now is salt creep from the splash. Sigh. Now every hour I'm adding about 10-20ml of concentrated salt water to bring the salinity back up. Now I need to dump out my ATO reservoir and fill with fresh RO. Double sigh.

Lesson learned.