Wanting to use chemiclean

scubasteve92

I have some cyano issues that keep popping up in my tank. Looking to use chemiclean. I have in the past and really like it, but my question is, do i only turn off my protein skimmer or do i also turn off my biopellet reactor and my gfo reactor?

Thanks for any input!

Joshua

Run your protein skimmer without the cup (basically let it bubble over). I ran both my biopellet and GFO reactor during the treatment to make sure all water in my system was treated.

Just be cautioned, I ran off my cyano after the treatment and dinoflaggelates replaced them instead. I would much prefer cyano. doh.gif

Don't know if there is an exact way of preventing it, other than having a good system of phosphate and nitrate removal in place. If its there, cyano/dinoflaggelates/algae will aim to grow in your system.

My cyano was from running biopellets... can't exactly lead to how the dino's took over after the cyano disappeared but more than likely its not going to happen in everyone's tank the same as it did mine. It was just a word of caution from my own experience.

I still don't have cyano but that was with me running less biopellets in my reactor and more aggressive use of GFO.