Wiping out Asterina Stars without harming my Blue Linkia!

Juiceman

Is there another way to get rid of these Asterina Stars without risking my Blue Linkia being food or dying?

I've thought about getting a Harlequin shrimp, but i'm pretty sure he'd go after my Linkia I've had for about a year and a half.

Experiences, Options?

I did the opposite on my tank, I put the harlequin in my overflow and let him work on the asterinas that inevitably made it in there. I would also then use a small net to scrape the asterinas off the tank sides at night and drop them in the overflow. He lived for over a year that way and definitely diminished my asterina population.

What are the Asterina's doing that has you worried? Over population or damaging things? I caught one munching on some macro algae the other day. Removed him and haven't seen any of the others come any where near the macro in question. Matter of time until they do but...

What are the Asterina's doing that has you worried? Over population or damaging things? I caught one munching on some macro algae the other day. Removed him and haven't seen any of the others come any where near the macro in question. Matter of time until they do but...

Mine were so overpopulated on some live rock I bought from another member that they had stripped it of coraline algae.

Minor thread hijack, but I hear people complaining about keeping various inverts that love to eat starfish but not wanting to buy choc. chip stars due to the ongoing cost. Why doesn't someone farm Asterinas? I realize that you probably wouldn't want to release them in your reef tank but a FOWLR tank and a harlequin shrimp or two might be fun.

Just seems like a cash crop that isn't being tapped.

wow i saw one of these guys in my tank. picked it up and it felt hard so i thought it was just a dead star fish. so i set it on my frag dish. i looked a few minutes later and it was gone. i have lots of softies and zoas. i havent seen it or any other since. should i worry?

Same, never bothered by any of them. At worst they graze some of my coraline algae but that stuff grows so fast, no biggie. They are the first to clean up anything that is rotting in my tank so I give them a big thanks for doing a good job. I'll see them on a zoa... my opinion is they are eating one's that are rotting and dying, not attacking a healthy one. If they were attacking healthy one's in my tank, I would see it more often... just my 2 cents. Only one's I see them on were colonies that weren't doing so well in the first place. Who knows though... whole chicken and egg theory, which one was first? Rotting Zoa or zoa eating starfish... with over 1,000 polyps in my tank and hordes of asterinas in with them... my money is on the rotting zoa.

-Ty

to my understanding (keep in mind I'm the FNG) there are several species with different iterations and patterns, some have been 'known' to nibble on zoas and other coral, and others seem to be harmless. Personally, I found an asterina, white with greenish blue tints to it, pestering my small zoa frags. I have also seen white ones, that seem to stick to the glass and pumps and meander throughout the tank all day. I've also noticed some have 3 trailing points with one lead point, and others have more around the 5 or 6 mark. I pluck out the non white ones immediately.

Bad Asterina

post-2969-0-12180000-1352836615_thumb.jp

Good Asterina

post-2969-0-73115900-1352836650.jpg

• Like 1

to my understanding (keep in mind I'm the FNG) there are several species with different iterations and patterns, some have been 'known' to nibble on zoas and other coral, and others seem to be harmless. Personally, I found an asterina, white with greenish blue tints to it, pestering my small zoa frags. I have also seen white ones, that seem to stick to the glass and pumps and meander throughout the tank all day. I've also noticed some have 3 trailing points with one lead point, and others have more around the 5 or 6 mark. I pluck out the non white ones immediately.

Bad Asterina

post-2969-0-12180000-1352836615_thumb.jp

Good Asterina

post-2969-0-73115900-1352836650.jpg

do you know how fast they reproduce?

i know i got at least one i a frag i purchased about a week ago

"Freaking New Guy" smile.png

Asterinas can reproduce quite quickly based on my experience. I started my tank and had one. Within a month I had more like 12. But the rule as mentioned above is, if you see one, you have dozens. To my understanding, the higher your nutrients, the faster they reproduce. So, more food = more stars. They all reproduce by splitting, but some also have the ability of reproducing sexually. To slow the reproduction rate, you'd likely want to examine your feeding schedule, and algal build up. From what I've read, six line wrasses and harlequin shrimp are your best bet. However, in my BioCube I've had decent success placing some Nori seaweed/algae in a CLEAN test tube, and laying it flat on its side in the bottom of the display tank. The stars eventually wander into the tube to feast on the algae. On a good day i'll pluck about 10 of them out of the tube on retrieval. On a bad day, maybe one or none. Your mileage may vary.

Not sure that the white = good, dark = bad is scientific but I can say the one I caught munching my macro algae was dark and the few that I see that are white don't seem to mess with anything. Just wish they'd eat diatoms...

My current plan is to pluck them all out of the biocube. The dark ones are euthanized. The white ones go into the fuge on the 130 gallon tank. If I get a big enough population of them going I'll get a harlequin shrimp for the biocube and reintroduce the white stars as a food source.

Edited by Mlaw