Anyone know what this is?

Nicole Yarger

While looking at the tank this morning (loving all my new items I got yesterday), I noticed this little critter crawling on the plug for my new Purple Haze. At first I didn't think much of it, but then I noticed it move and it made me go hmmm. I pulled the plug out of the tank and noticed this critter has a very hard, sharp shell. Can any of you help me figure out what it is and if I should keep it or get rid of it? I do have it quarantined right now.

Thanks!!!

post-2956-0-19495900-1352649751_thumb.jp

Looks like a Polyplacophora (aka Chiton). Although it is kinda hard to tell (how many megapixels is the potato you used to take that picture grin.png ) Chitons have bodies that are segmented into 8 sections, so basically if you can make out the individual dividing lines you most likely have a chiton. They are great little herbivores. So...congratulations on the new free cleanup crew member...I reserve naming rights ;)

Looks like a Chiton. although it is kinda hard to tell (how many megapixels is the potato you used to take that picture grin.png ) Chitons have bodies that are segmented into 8 sections, so basically if you can make out the individual dividing lines you most likely have a chiton. They are great little herbivores.

Pic is a bit blurry but +1 to what the Capt says. Shouldn't be a problem, a lot of people buy them as part of their clean up crew.

http://www.reefcleaners.org/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=34

clearer picture of one: chiton3.jpg

Hi Nicole,

Should be a chiton (got plenty in my tank) or a stomatella snail. Got tons of those in my tank. Hopefully you got a hitchhicker limpet as well. They all munch away on film algae and other types of algae. All beneficial.

-Ty

Thanks Ty, I am sure we got it from you!!! Appreciate the "Bonus" :)