Super algae

jestep

When I transferred tanks about 9 months ago, I was having major algae (bryopsis) and nutrient problems. I believed and still believe that the rock I was using was saturated with detritus which was further supported when I broke some of the rock apart while fragging and the inside was hollow but completely filled with detritus.

So, I took all the rock and put it in a black rubbermaid container with a pump and a heater. Figured I would black out the algae and then figure out if the rock is salvageable. Left it running now for about 6 months without being exposed to any light.

I went and opened the container today, and low and behold, the algae is still going strong. Some of the green paly's are still looking decent as well although they're not open at all. Has anyone ever seen this. Literally, there is no light making it into this container. 6 months of complete darkness with no noticeable dieoff at all.

I've done a few small changes, nothing huge though. I didn't test the water but assume it's pretty bad unless there's some denitrification going on. Very clear though.

I'll get some pictures this afternoon. Really didn't expect to see algae at all after this long.