Rookie Mistake with Ilyanassarius Obsoleta, now what

Mlaw

I have a 130 gallon tank built into a wall. Guy that had the house before us put it in. I don't think he had a clue what he was doing. Access is basically nil. Once something goes in there is no getting it out.

When we bought the house (on a foreclosure) the tank was basically dead. I worked on it for awhile and then the lights shorted and caught fire. Amazing how much damage a fire extinguisher does to a tank.

Now 3 years later I have got it up and running. Water parameters are good. Lots of dead detritus and algae. Time of a clean up crew.

This is where I made my mistake. I'm on a budget for this project. Wife didn't appreciate the tank trying to burn the house down so I don't have a lot of room to spend money on it. I got suckered on ebay and bought 250 ilyanssarius obsoleta snails. I admit it. I didn't do my research. I got suckered by the name nassarius in the write up. Hell of a deal on a massive clean up crew.

They're in there now. Doing an incredible job of cleaning up. I wish I had taken pictures. They are removing years of accumulated algae etc. Incredible improvement in appearance. Problem is now I know about the issues with lifespan and predation on beneficial inverts. On a normal tank I'd probably let them go at it for another couple of months and then start removing them. No way that is going to happen on this tank. I could probably grab some but will never get them all out of there.

Any thoughts? Snail traps? Or just don't worry about it?

Yikes! Start over! I'm more worried about the possibly flukes! Empty out everything, kill them all (for sure don't release them in any native waters), and start over. Just my 2 cents! Sorry about the problem, we all make mistakes along the way to our perfect reef tanks.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-11/mg/index.php

I don't think I'll be able to get them out. I'd have to remove a wall to get the angle to be able to get deep enough into the tank.

no fish in the tank at the moment. Just some hermit crabs. Should I dose with something to try to kill the flukes off?

The bigger problem isn't the lifespan or the predation on your infauna; it is the risk of accidental infection by parasitic flatworm larvae causing something known as "swimmer's itch." in such a small volume of water the concentration can cause infection on a level that is much more devastating than just an "itch"; especially if you happen to be allergic. Be careful putting your hands in there!

I'd fix the access issue first and foremost(realizing cost is an issue). If you cant maintain the system like it needs to be, you will lose interest/neglect it, etc and be right back to square one.

Regarding the snails, I think the snail trap is your best bet. I'd throw some raw shrimp into a mayo jar and collect as many as you can. It might take a few tries to get em all.

Get some of those long sleeved gloves for working in the tank. Those whole arm length ones.

I'd fix the access issue first and foremost(realizing cost is an issue). If you cant maintain the system like it needs to be, you will lose interest/neglect it, etc and be right back to square one.

I was thinking the same thing. It's bad enough messing around in a sump under a cabinet. The DT should have really good access.

I'd be happy to lend a sledge hammer and sawsall if you need one ;)

Believe me I've thought about it. Problem is that if I start doing that kind of work the wife is going to expect the tank to go to. I think I'll just have to live with the access limitations. I'll start pulling snails out via trap.

So do I use the small child to reach into the hard to reach places or as bait?

Next question: assuming I can get the majority of these guys out of my tank, what do I do with them?

+1 on starting over.

You should love your tank. Having access problems will just make you feel bad about the whole thing. I would start over, with fresh rock and everything. Empty the tank, drop all the rocks into fresh water, clean it, fix the framing and then set it back up.

1. It will give you less headache later

2. You know you don't have anything bad in there because you killed everything

3. The wife will be happier in the long term

Here's what you don't want. You don't want to "think" you fixed the problem and have to revisit it over and over again. That much I've learned.

The snails can be killed by placing in freshwater and adding a little bleach. Death comes fast to them that way.

Get yourself a LARGE lunar wrasse, no snail will ever inhabit your tank again. Mine even kills huge mexican turbos, anything smaller is just a crunchy snack for him.

I will say this for the ilyanassarius snails. They may have their issues but they have done an incredible job cleaning up my tank. I had a ton of green slime algae growing in sheets over everything thing. Couldn't reach in to manually remove most of it and these little fellas have removed 90% of it. they're still going strong. I'm going to leave them in to finish the job then look at removing them.