Learned the importance of dipping new corals last night.

kmacc05

Also, there's nudi eggs to the left of the nudi, above and slightly left of the bristly worm, in the 2nd photo. You should get this piece out of the DT completely and into QT. These guys are bad, bad, bad. Most dips will not kill nudi eggs.

Props on the high res photos.

Would a peroxide dip kill the eggs?

What they said K.

Nudi, prolly nudi eggs, maybe a sponge.

Dipping is probably needed more for stuff from LFS tanks than other hobbyists, but needed on stuff from everyone.

I'll definitely be dipping everything I get from now on.

How small can a QT be? Girlfriend says no more tanks. She thinks 3 is enough. Pfffft Maybe I can convince her to add another really small one if it is used for QT.

Looks to me the could just as easily be a small brisstle worm in the 2nd picture as a nudibranch. As far as your clown hosting your frogspawn I doubt getting an anemonie will stop it even if they spend time in the anemonie. It should not bother your frogspawn. Animals with nematocysts have chemical cues in their slime which keeps the nematocysts from triggering when tenticles brush up against each other. The pick up the chemical cues in thier mucus coating when they wallow in the tenticles so the hosts nematocysts do not sting the clowns. As far as the frogspan is concerned the clown is just another polyp waving around. Keep in mind these animals typically inflate and deflate daily and may also occasionaally do so at random. And FYI amphipods species range from 1 to 340 millimetres (0.039 to 13 in), copepods 1 to 2 millimetres (0.04 to 0.08 in), rotifers are 50 microns to 2 milimeters and isopods 300 micrometres to nearly 50 centimetres (0.012 in to 20 in).

Tim. Take a look again at the 2nd picture. There is a bristleworm on the polyps and go up and to the right and on the rock by itself is a nudi... clear as day. I missed it the first time i looked as well. The resolution is so great you can almost see the pink/purple coloration it probably absorbed from its latest zoa victim!

Looks to me the could just as easily be a small brisstle worm in the 2nd picture as a nudibranch. As far as your clown hosting your frogspawn I doubt getting an anemonie will stop it even if they spend time in the anemonie. It should not bother your frogspawn. Animals with nematocysts have chemical cues in their slime which keeps the nematocysts from triggering when tenticles brush up against each other. The pick up the chemical cues in thier mucus coating when they wallow in the tenticles so the hosts nematocysts do not sting the clowns. As far as the frogspan is concerned the clown is just another polyp waving around. Keep in mind these animals typically inflate and deflate daily and may also occasionaally do so at random. And FYI amphipods species range from 1 to 340 millimetres (0.039 to 13 in), copepods 1 to 2 millimetres (0.04 to 0.08 in), rotifers are 50 microns to 2 milimeters and isopods 300 micrometres to nearly 50 centimetres (0.012 in to 20 in).

Ok cool. I just dont want the frogspawn to get messed up or hurt in any way. They are one of my favs. I really want one of the purple tips! Is it strange that only one of the clowns is acting this way? Maybe the frogspawn is too small for both of them.

And yes, there is def a nudi there. Dark red in color. Its the only one i saw during dipping. Going to dip it again tomorrow.

My candy cane i have been worried about is now gone. Gave it back to rca. I didnt want it to die. Also got a water test, and all of a sudden i have a little spike in ammonia and nitrite. Dont know how. Did a 15g wc. Hopefully it will dilute it. Also added some bottled bacteria to try and combat it. Hope it goes away soon, dont want to lose anything else.

I would physically remove the eggs. Probably just need to carefully scrape them off with a razor. ZOa eating nudi's are truly a nasty little pest because like snails it only takes 1 for them to reproduce.

Kim's peroxide dip suggestion may be a good thing to try. I'm personally sold on peroxide dipping for nuisance algae, and in observation, most inverts on coral do not survive it. To do it, you mix 50/50 tank water and 3% H2O2. I typically dip for 3 - 5 minutes. Coral will be pissed but should open back up in a day or two and be fully recovered in 1 - 2 weeks. You can do this with most any coral (Zoas, SPS, LPS) but do not dip soft corals.

I'd be careful on SPS. I'm an avid peroxide dipper but most SPS don't take to it as well. I've stopped using it on SPS and just use the Bayer Complete Insect Killer for SPS. The peroxide definitely works great on nuisance algae. Zaps it all!

Jeeperty, I'm sorry I still disagree and am pretty certain the "worm" you are pointing out is NOT a nudibranch. All nudibranchs have gills and most if not all have frilly appendages see this:

I also stunbled across this article and it suggests malachite green for adults and eggs:

http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/resources.asp?show=15

The worm in that video looks identicle to the worm in the top right quadrant of that photo number 2. It appears to be heading to wards the top of the photo based off how the one in the video moves.

The worm to the left is possibly a bristle like we all agree... I'm still seeing the one to the top right as a nudi.... what else could that be?

as Bio3 knows from my tank and probably his most recent reference.. i had a ridiculous infestation with those nudibranchs after buying zoas from a multitude of places (including aquatek, by the way).. they started out looking all pretty with the headdress and bright colors (same as the colony that i later found them munching on)- then after i realized they werent good eggs had been laid and i had full infestation. My gf and i would suck out ones with a turkey baster that you could barely see we got so good at identiftying them.. probably over 200 at least. Tried Salifert flatworm exit, did nothing. What finally did was buying a small 6-line wrasse, who at first didnt know to eat them but now i see hunting over my zoa garden and the nudis are completely gone. They are a huge hassle and polyps closed, not growing, etc.. i also now dip with coral Rx but the wrasse really fixed it. Fishy Business had small 1" one that i added and he is awesome...

i did figure out not to dip some corals like the chalice i killed dipping in RO after it slimed up and died off.. but zoas are a must with all the hiding places..

man, i can't believe how many things people are pointing out on that one picture! What does that say about AT??? obviously they just open the bags and drop in?!!

That is interesting. I have a solar wrasse. Will they hunt them as the sixline does? If not, I may want to add a sixline. The one I got from AT were definitely some pieces someone brought as trade in. Luckily I had a candy cane that wasn't doing so hot, so I decided to buy the dip. Then decided I might as well dip the new pieces I got along with the candy cane. That is when I discovered the pests. I will definitely be dipping everything from now on no matter where it comes from. I don't want to think anything bad about AT as they have been great to me in the past. I would just advise everyone to take extreme precaution with every purchase made from anywhere/anyone.

The problem with nudi's and some other pests is that their eggs will survive most dips and can be hidden for some time before hatching. This can allow the coral to pass through several tanks and theoretically not all of them will get the pests. If the nudi hadn't been on this piece there's a chance that nobody would have looked at the eggs as anything but some worm or benign life form.

I generally give LFS's the benefit of doubt simply because they have to deal with livestock turnover that the end-user isn't going to ever experience. My exception would be if a LFS knows there is something nasty in there like nudi's, or red bugs, or something that can make it through typical dipping and acclimatization procedures and either doesn't take action or doesn't let their customers know before purchase. I've seen pests and especially pest algae in every store I've ever been in. It's a really good practice to understand how to dip and what to dip for when introducing anything into a display tank.

• Like 1