Best Way To Pull Out Pesky Crustaceans

George Monnat Jr

Hey all,

My DT has been on cruise control for almost three months while my job has been crazy. I finally got all of my team hired and making good progress, so I have time for reefing now (yay!). The first thing I want to do is pull out some of my many crustaceans that have really begun to annoy me:

* all 3 of my Pacific Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, because they're huge (about 4" each) and run all over everything and steal from my cnidarians plus RCA has some tiny, 1" ones that I can get a pair of to replace the three greedy hulks

* 2 or 3 of my 4-5 Peppermint Shrimp as they've also gotten big (3" or so) and also steal stuff

* my biggest and first Porcelain Anemone Crab (N. ohshimai), because it's a bully that likes to wander between anemones and injure the crab or shrimp living there. It's gone back-and-forth between my big GBTA and bigger RBTA pulling a claw off of the poor N. maculatus that tries to live in the vacated BTA (now missing both main claws and one of its filter feeding limbs).

They are all too fast to net, too smart to walk into the baited net or container and my DIY hitchhiker catcher is too small. Any suggestions, DIY or commercial? If you want to come catch them yourself, you can take them home.

Edit for the running list:

Cleaner Shrimp #1: Mitch

Cleaner Shrimp #2: victoly

Cleaner Shrimp #3: brian.srock

Cleaner Shrimp 1st standby: (Bio)³

Cleaner Shrimp 2nd standby: Capt. Obvious

Peppermint Shrimp #1: Mitch

Peppermint Shrimp #2: Robb in Austin

Porcelain Anemone Crab: Capt. Obvious

• Like 1

I'm hoping to use a trap instead of moving LR. I was just going to give them to RCA, so you're welcome to any and all. I have my old 20g set up as a breeder (only a little shrimp and amphipods in there ATM), so I plan on putting them in there once they're caught and until I can give them away.

I'd buy one of the skunks from you after you get them captured. Maybe try the old bottle fish trap and see if you can get them to do the same thing?

Sure, you can have one for free or maybe a shroom or something. I have bottles but they're small. I think on the way home today I'll find a bigger bottle and try that with a silversides head in it. I tried that with the big fish net, and a *&^% Peppermint snuck up from behind and started pulling bits of the head through the net holes.

I tried that with the big fish net, and a *&^% Peppermint snuck up from behind and started pulling bits of the head through the net holes.

you might be able to stick toothpicks in the silverside so it doesn't rest on the edge of the netting.

i have 2 liter bottles cut in half if you think they would be useful.

strangely enough with shrimp if you just put the food in your hand each day and ffeed them for a week llike that they eventually just jump on and you can close your hand on them.

if any cleaners are left I'll buy one for the new tank im building up!

George, I have a porcelain crab already in my rbta. What else do they host in?

They associate with my BTAs, Condys and Maxi-Mini Carpet Anemones (MMCAs). They seem to like the big BTAs then my big Condys, but they will jump into a Maxi-Mini before they try to get into a small or "sucked up" BTA or Condy. After I get home, I'll post some pictures.

They associate with my BTAs, Condys and Maxi-Mini Carpet Anemones (MMCAs). They seem to like the big BTAs then my big Condys, but they will jump into a Maxi-Mini before they try to get into a small or "sucked up" BTA or Condy. After I get home, I'll post some pictures.

George, i'll pass on the porcelain crab since i don't have another "home" for it. thanks anyways! and do let me know if you need help rounding up your offending crustaceans.