Cycle plan

SChrisEV

There may be some good threads on the forum for this, but with a quick search I did not see one.

It's been a number of years since I had to cycle a saltwater tank, like 12 years, I expect that things have not changes too much in this regard, but I'm sure there are common or "best" practices that have evolved. Not to mention 12 years is plenty of time to forget the "the right steps". So I'm looking for your input/direction. I am at the stage that I am FINALLY about ready to fill the tank with salt water, sand and rock. I'm like a kid in a candy store again in life, can't wait to have it all up, cycled and ready to add... I think the technical word is... "STUFF"

The tank is 92g, I have a 30g glass tank I will use as a sump for the time being. I have an old Red Sea Berlin venturi style skimmer, I'm hoping/planning to use. I also have an old 4 stage RO/DI unit, I'm not sure if it makes more since to purchase new filter canisters, or just buy a new unit. Very unfortunately cost continues to be my largest concern in getting this up and running.

First, you are correct! The technical term is "STUFF". As far as cycling a tank if anything the debate has gotten more fractious since you last set up a tank. The biology has not. The simplest thing is to put in your rock and saltwater and just be patient and monitor your pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, alkalinity and calcium. I use cured aqua-cultured liverock (basicly quarantine it for four weeks) livesand and 10 or 20 gallons from an established tank. I usually do not see any ammonia after the 2nd day (there is some initially since it is not removed by RO) and start adding fish and easy corals. (The efficacy of using quality live rock to establish a reef system very quickly is pointed out by Delbeek and Sprung in both vol I & III of their "Reef Aquarium" series, I would encourage you to get the third volume if you do not already have it, if you can afford them vol I and II are out of print but available and pricey.)

Big fan of Dr. Tim's One and Only Nitrifying Bacteria. Check out his website and videos on tank start up.

You can read my build thread - Richard's 225 g Build for the details but a quick synopsis of my start up is that I began with Real Reef (manmade dead rock), 3 chromis and a bottle of Dr. Tim's. Two week's later I had all my LPS, soft corals and most of my fish in with no problems with Ammonia, Nitrite or Nitrate. It's snake oil that works!

Awesome build Richard! I actually saw your tank on Mark's blog. As much as I love the idea of Dr. Tim's One and Only, and more importantly the time it cuts out of the cycle. I'm using this cycle time to help... cushion the blow of the amount of money it costs to get a tank up and running.... from my wife! I'm hoping that by spending about $100 at a time on stuff over the course of a month or so that she will not notice or at the end ask "About how much did this cost?" :) I mean heck it works on me ALL the time. lol

I normally use uncured rock because I like the little critters that come out of nowhere. It adds to the fun! If you use cured rock, then the cycle time is much lower. I would use the bacteria either way. Even if you don't put anything in it for a while, the bacteria will help the tank look cleaner.

I would avoid using fish to cycle.