Bubble Algae

Grog

I'm not going to mention any names or locations, just pose a question, as I'm not trying to call anyone out.

However, I was in a LFS today looking at some corals and was a bit shocked to see so much green bubble algae in their tanks. Not like one or two but a lot. I counted 40 or so in one frag tank and saw more in other tanks; display and sale tanks both.

They had two nice pieces I was interested in. I didn't buy either, they looked OK, and I didn't notice any of the bubbles on them. Am I being overly cautious, or is this a valid concern?

I'm paranoid about introducing nuisance algae to my tank. Part of it has to do with the method that you're receiving the coral (fresh frags are not as likely to have algae), and the size of the piece (larger/older colonies tend to have more algae on whatever they're attached to IMO.

I think it's part of a broader subject, improving LFS coral husbandry. It seems as though presentation is a low priority in their sale tanks. In terms of a moving as many units as possible and

from a business perspective I totally get this. However, I think that I would be much more motivated if they had a shallow, large, bare bottom tank where everything was racked on egg crate to reduce nuisance algae and more thoroughly evaluate a piece on it's own merits instead of the tank at large. A good example of this is how Vivid does their sale tanks (check youtube).

So to all the sponsors who I can only assume read every post on the forum and take their advice, do that and I'll probably buy more coral from you instead of hobbyists who have a stronger focus on giving out nuisance free livestock.

I would say valid concern- as a rule of thumb, I never ever ever buy ANYTHING that is in a tank with something invasive, or infectious, even if what I want shows no signs of it.

There is a way to combat this though: if there is a piece or fish you like, always quarantine. Setting this coral in a QT, dips to remove any unseen parasites, and then manual removal of bubble algae followed by a period of observation (to ensure it doesnt grow back) could give you the coral you want, without the algae. Basically, if you don't want your display overrun, don't add anything without proper "decontamination" first, if you just HAVE to have the piece.

The reason this LFS, and many others could have parasites or nuisance algae is most certainly due to the large amounts of livestock they turn over; they often are not equipped to QT every piece of coral, which results in the introduction of things like flatworms and bubble algae. While it is kindof crappy, they simply can't combat the high cost (both time and money) of QT. Remember, they simply can't look at a fish, or look at a coral and decide if it is healthy- it often takes a while for bad things to appear. Trust me, they try: some LFS will literally take out all of their coral once a month, siphon out the tanks to remove any flatworms or other parasites, and do a dip on their corals at the same time. It just doesn't combat livestock coming from all over the world, and even from other people's tanks who "swear" they don't have anything bad in their tank.

This is where it becomes your decision, and your responsibility on the course of action. Like I mentioned, while there are options, there is also just walking away, which I feel is a good choice. Next time, ask the LFS when they unpack corals/saltwater, and see if you can buy a piece that is still in the bag from the aquafarm and hasn't gone into the tank yet.

• Like 1

It's certainly resonable to avoid it but personally I would not have let that bother me. Even if some got past dipping/QT my experience is bubble algae just doesn't thrive under normal conditions in my tanks and is easily controlled during routine maintenance.

• Like 2

So to all the sponsors who I can only assume read every post on the forum and take their advice

I will add that this was not at one of our sponsor's shops. wink.png

I would say valid concern- as a rule of thumb, I never ever ever buy ANYTHING that is in a tank with something invasive, or infectious, even if what I want shows no signs of it.

There is a way to combat this though: if there is a piece or fish you like, always quarantine. and hasn't gone into the tank yet.

Maybe this is a good reason/opportunity for me to set up the 10g quarantine tank? whistle.gif Need to figure out how to break the news to the Mrs. haha

You could always do a peroxide dip if there is any concern for nuisance algae. 2 - 5 minutes in 50/50 tank water and H2O2. It should knock out just about any algae including bryopsis, bubble algae, and recemosa. Do not do it on soft corals such as tree coras and leathers. Safe for most every other LPS, SPS and zoas and paly's. I would prefer a dip to setting up a QT tank if you don't have a seeded filter and tank ready to go.

i havent let bubble algae disuade me from buying a frag if all the corals in that tank looks healthy and happy, simply because it does not thrive in my tank at all, neither does cyano or gha. bubble algae is easy to get rid of by not popping them in your tank, and removing the little stalk that it uses to attach to the rock. byopsis is easily killed by peroxide before it goes in your tank. for me the deal breaker is other corals or fish that look sick, tissue dying off, chewed up, brown jelly, rotting, etc.