Color Me Stressed

Timfish

That's a really interesting read with how it pertains to reefkeeping. They made the observation that right before bleaching that "dazzling colors" were displayed, something that SPS keepers shoot for. I guess it's a bit different in that they used high temperatures to induce the stress instead of ULNS, but it seems that there might be some correlation. I'm off to make a "temperature reactor" to get my SPS to color up :)

I know when my RBTA bleached a few years ago due to overheating it was gorgeous, a brilliant electric pink, for about two weeks. Then it went all ugly, depressing white and took six months to recover and return to its previous beautiful red. It seems like with SPS that it would be like balancing on a razor's edge to maintain.

I wonder if the ULNS mechanism and the temperature mechanism are the same?

Probably not. With ULNS the coral is being starved so it cannot grow any Symbodinium sp. dinoflagellates. With temperature the coral actively expells the symbiotic algae it has and it's believed is attempting to exchange one species or variant of Symbodinium for another that is will work better at the higher temperature. Like Mike pointed out bleaching does not mean a certain death for a speciman.