1384 watts of light on 210 gallon tank?

Funkness

At 6W per gallon, expect heat. In setting up my 135G lagoon, I initially used 1000W MH at 12" above tank. With a 20" box fan, I maintained 81 degrees in the tank. Let us continue to follow the energy consumption. With MH, half of that energy is wasted heat. The fact that the heat needs to be removed by your house AC or a chiller means that on a 1000W light, you are required to consume 1500W of electricity to get 500W of light.

Assume $0.10 per kilowatt hour and assume 12 hour light cycle.

1.5 KW times 12 hours per day times 365 days in a years times $0.10 per KWH. It cost $657 to use the MH fixture. The power company is the winner. Only you can decide how much of a savings that is.

Patrick

I run four 250W MH's and two 110W VHO's over a 135g tank. VHO's are on 12hrs and MH's are on 7hrs. Chiller goes on 3-4x a day.

I would only run MHs if you plan on using used equipment (lots of great deals these days with people switching to LEDs). If you're going to buy new equipment, you might as well invest in LEDs.

Edited by pbnj

Agreed. I love the fact that MH equipment is so cheap right now.

I run four 250W MH's and two 110W VHO's over a 135g tank. VHO's are on 12hrs and MH's are on 7hrs. Chiller goes on 3-4x a day.

I would only run MHs if you plan on using used equipment (lots of great deals these days with people switching to LEDs). If you're going to buy new equipment, you might as well invest in LEDs.