AI Sol vs Kessil A350w

kmacc05

i have been using kessil 150 on this tank and LOVE it. my buddy has 2 of the 350's on his 90g and they are nuts. I will never use any light other than kessil. I have not tried al and have read great reviews but would not even consider anything other than kessil. Sorry for my biased answer I just think you cant go wrong with the led lights they make

I am highly considering the a350w's. Or a combo or ai sol and kessil

I've been using an AI fixture for more than a year and love it. No need to worry about them not penetrating all the way to the bottom. Used to have mine over a 28" deep tank and got great par readings at the sandbed and didn't even ever have it all the way cranked up. There are many great led options out there though. I just want to throw in the natural moonlight cycles. AI does it and I've heard of others, possibly apex too (?). I'm convinced corals respond to this moonlight cycle, at least the lps I tend to keep. I wouldn't want to run lights without it anymore. Just something to look at as you consider all the options. Oh and the clouds & lightening are cool but I've only bothered to run them when I first got it and when people come over and want to see it. Cool, but definitely not worth extra money. You can just watch videos of it on youtube.

Lol I have seen vids of it and it thought it was a cool feature. I guess its mainly marketing. But the ai sol has my vote right now. Or like I said, a mix of one ai sol and two kessils. Thanks

Yeah, if the light doesn't have a built in control, but is dimmable, you have to have a method of dimming the LEDs even if it's a constant, manual dim. There aren't any fixtures that require an APEX per se, but there are fixtures that require a dimming device to operate. The way the dimmable drivers for LEDs generally work is that you apply a voltage of 0-10v to 2 wires on the driver. 0 corresponds to 0% brightness and 10 corresponds to 100% brightness.

That being said, kessils are NOT dimmable fixtures, so they're just going to have on/off capability.

OK I will look a little deeper into what I am going to do.

The first Kessil I mentioned, the A350w is dimmable by using two knobs on the top for either channel 1 or 2. So I thought that was the only was the Kessil could be dimmed. But is an apex or something similar can over ride and still do automated dimming, that might be the way to go. Thanks again for everyones input. I will do some more reading and let everyone know which unit I decide to go with.

Ah, i overlooked the A350w. It looks like you in fact can manually dim, but I don't see any product specs that say that you can remotely control the dim. I don't mean to push you in the direction of tank automation, I've just noticed that as people's tanks increase in complexity, they frequently tend to end up with a tank controller, whether it be APEX or one of the other controllers. There is a community of people on ARC who are proficient in the setup and can help you if you choose to go that way. Good luck on the light search and let us know!

Ok dont worry about pushing me any which way. I really appreciate all the time and info everyone has shared today. I also have looked into tank controllers, im just not too educated thus far. I really like the apex jr. I believe it can do all the same things as the other one just doesnt have an lcd screen and its smaller. Correct me if im wrong on that. Also, with a controller.... would my main lights be on a separate timer tyan moon lights? If i go with kessil, they cant be dimmed to moon lights so a separate moon light fixture will be neaded. But they would all be on timers so on and off of each one will be controlled?

Just realize that the Jr does not have screen like you said and also does not dim unless you buy the additional module (apex has this built in)

If you have moon lights you just build a profile to fit each light schedule as you want it. Then tell the apex to use that profile on that light it will be following the schedule and directions found within the profile. They just pass arguements to keep it easy.

@Kim what size tank are you running the SOL on? I have a standard 48" long 55 gallon. I was just thinking about it and two of the AI SOL units would be cheaper than the combo I mentioned previously and would only need the one controller for both. I will probably only buy one unit with controller to start out and have it centered for a month or so then buy the second one.

Yeah, if the light doesn't have a built in control, but is dimmable, you have to have a method of dimming the LEDs even if it's a constant, manual dim. There aren't any fixtures that require an APEX per se, but there are fixtures that require a dimming device to operate. The way the dimmable drivers for LEDs generally work is that you apply a voltage of 0-10v to 2 wires on the driver. 0 corresponds to 0% brightness and 10 corresponds to 100% brightness.

That being said, kessils are NOT dimmable fixtures, so they're just going to have on/off capability.

The first Kessil I mentioned, the A350w is dimmable by using two knobs on the top for either channel 1 or 2. So I thought that was the only was the Kessil could be dimmed. But is an apex or something similar can over ride and still do automated dimming, that might be the way to go. Thanks again for everyones input. I will do some more reading and let everyone know which unit I decide to go with.

Ah, i overlooked the A350w. It looks like you in fact can manually dim, but I don't see any product specs that say that you can remotely control the dim. I don't mean to push you in the direction of tank automation, I've just noticed that as people's tanks increase in complexity, they frequently tend to end up with a tank controller, whether it be APEX or one of the other controllers. There is a community of people on ARC who are proficient in the setup and can help you if you choose to go that way. Good luck on the light search and let us know!

Ok dont worry about pushing me any which way. I really appreciate all the time and info everyone has shared today. I also have looked into tank controllers, im just not too educated thus far. I really like the apex jr. I believe it can do all the same things as the other one just doesnt have an lcd screen and its smaller. Correct me if im wrong on that. Also, with a controller.... would my main lights be on a separate timer tyan moon lights? If i go with kessil, they cant be dimmed to moon lights so a separate moon light fixture will be neaded. But they would all be on timers so on and off of each one will be controlled?

Just realize that the Jr does not have screen like you said and also does not dim unless you buy the additional module (apex has this built in)

If you have moon lights you just build a profile to fit each light schedule as you want it. Then tell the apex to use that profile on that light it will be following the schedule and directions found within the profile. They just pass arguements to keep it easy.

OK that makes sense. Any preference between reef keeper and the apex?

I can tell you that I personally spoke with the president of RK at a trade show in california... at the time we were having tons of problems with RK customer support and RK functionality.

I discussed it with him and he seems VERY concerned... even gave me his business card and said to email his exclusively and he would handle it personally. We got back and 1 week later I emailed him, his response was short. "Please dont email me with these types of problems you need to email customer support." I sent a reply telling him he told me to send him the emails and he never responded.

APEX however I sent an email at 9 pm on sunday and got a reply within 2 hours offering a phone call support if I didnt understand the instructions they gave below.

Seen RK's turn lights on and off at random times as well as chillers and heaters... plus the mailing items in to upgrade if they are old was a pain.

Love my APEX, my signature isnt showing cause I just swapped IP's and im changing it now.

2 SOL's should be killer on that tank.

I went with the Apex as it has some features that I wanted that weren't available on the RK. I also like the look of the display and the web server function better.

I can tell you that I personally spoke with the president of RK at a trade show in california... at the time we were having tons of problems with RK customer support and RK functionality.

I discussed it with him and he seems VERY concerned... even gave me his business card and said to email his exclusively and he would handle it personally. We got back and 1 week later I emailed him, his response was short. "Please dont email me with these types of problems you need to email customer support." I sent a reply telling him he told me to send him the emails and he never responded.

APEX however I sent an email at 9 pm on sunday and got a reply within 2 hours offering a phone call support if I didnt understand the instructions they gave below.

Seen RK's turn lights on and off at random times as well as chillers and heaters... plus the mailing items in to upgrade if they are old was a pain.

Love my APEX, my signature isnt showing cause I just swapped IP's and im changing it now.

OK sounds awesome! Looks like 2 AI SOLs and an Apex jr are in my near future. The first AI SOL will be purchased tomorrow. I can't wait. I just watched Mr.Saltwatertank's video on the apex jr. I really like it. With having a tablet and no worry about the PH probe, the jr should handle everything I need. And if I upgrade in the future I can buy the other modules that will cover the upgraded parts of the system.

Thanks everyone for being so kind and helping a newb out like myself. I can't wait to get my light and system up and running!

OK that makes sense. Any preference between reef keeper and the apex?

apex hands down.

@Kim what size tank are you running the SOL on? I have a standard 48" long 55 gallon. I was just thinking about it and two of the AI SOL units would be cheaper than the combo I mentioned previously and would only need the one controller for both. I will probably only buy one unit with controller to start out and have it centered for a month or so then buy the second one.

I had one unit on a 47gal column tank, 18”x20”. The new tank I'm working on setting up is about 65gal, but has the same footprint as your tank, it's just taller. I bought another AI unit and plan on running the 2 longways (is that a word?) It looks like it'll give great spread. I actually like having brighter areas and dimmer areas, so I'll adjust the positioning a bit to achieve that. Are you considering the vegas at all? I've read a few people mention thinking the additional color options really do matter to coral growth and coloration. Just a thought if you can swing the extra cash and are buying new units anyway.

I have seen the Vega's and really like them. The site I saw them on said that they were not available as of right now. Is there another site they can be ordered? Or even better a shop here locally I can pick them up? I only know of RCA and Aquatek.

No the apex cannot control the Kessils they are manual dimming only for now.

There is of course also the light from buildmyled if you are not in a hurry, that is what i will be using after looking at everything at macna. However the beauty of the fixture may come into play for you, for me it will be hidden.

No the apex cannot control the Kessils they are manual dimming only for now.

There is of course also the light from buildmyled if you are not in a hurry, that is what i will be using after looking at everything at macna. However the beauty of the fixture may come into play for you, for me it will be hidden.

Apex can not control it in factory form but you can de--solder the potentiometer and attach wire leads that will allow the apex to adjust voltage from 0-10V and this will dim/brighen the light depending on the current put in.

In factory form you just twist the potentiometer to adjust said voltage. If I went kessil I would mod it this way to keep my apex in full control.