Id this paly please

Bpb

Got this in trade. Three heads. Bout 3/4" in diameter. Kinda long teal colored tentacles on the skirt. Yellowish body, green oral disc. I'm sure they're a common variety but can't seem to find a name. Sorry bout the pic it's the best I could get. Thanks!

post-2651-0-59164500-1348793555_thumb.jp

I appreciate you guys allerting me before I had another pest problem to befriend my lovely aiptasias that I'm trying to eradicate. Another question. I'm reading some things saying that yellow polyps have a tendency to overtake all empty space like TTP does. Any truth to this? I was considering getting some but now I'm having second thoughts

Edited by Bpb

All accounts I've read indicate they get fairly large and tall, enough to smother any zoa colonies they come in contact with, can put out a new polyp or more daily, and while they don't sting, they're super toxic. So if you pick up a rock, and one is growing on the bottom, and you happen to smash it, you can get a wicked bad infection.

If you like the look of them, why not keep them?

There are plenty of corals like GSP, Xenia, and Kenya tree, along with several types of palys that some of us think are invasive or ugly, but others love.

So if you like them, and have space for them, why not keep it?

I currently have Mohawk and Radioactive Dragon eyes taking over and choking out other zoas that I love. I would love to get rid of them, but others would think they were great!

But then I have a smaller colony of 5 polyps of mohawks on the other side of the tank, that hasn't grown a new polyp in 6 months.

So just because its prolific and "annoying" in one persons tank, doesn't mean it will do the same in yours.

• Like 1

. . . you can get a wicked bad infection.

The toxin has to get in through a cut or scrape, it's not going to be absorbed through the skin. The one study I saw refferenced, the amount of palytoxin is highly variable between colonies and most of the time was barely detectable. I use a credit card or screwdriver to scrape them back if they are winning out over something. To be honest the one animal that causes me a lot more grief are Bubble Tip Anemonies. They may stay someplace for years then get up and walk around killing stuff and BTAs will leave little welts between my fingers where the skin is thinner.

I routinely have hangnails and dry skin cracks and callouses in my hands so the toxin is a big concern to me, but I still go in bare handed when rearranging the tank. Haven't had anything dangerous yet. I cannot physically feel the stings from my rock flower anemone. Just heard paly toxin stories so better safe than sorry.

Timfish, I take it you've kept TTP and/or yellow polyps. How tough are they to control? I have images in my head of them being like aiptasia an popping up in random spots all over the tank daily

Reef tanks are like gardens, you got to keep them weeded and trimed. If you use a laissez faire appraoch then then your animal selction should be done accordingly. Like I said BTAs have caused me a lot more grief and expense than Xenia, GSP, TTP or Yellow Stone/Rock polyps combined. It takes weeks for polyps to creep up on something. It takes a BTA a few hours to crawl across your tank and kill your prized frag you just spent $100 on.

On the palytoxin topic, palytoxin doesn't cause an infection, it kills you. Symptoms are pretty severe and can cause death very rapidly via respiratory arrest or heart failure. There was an article on advanced aquarist a while back about how common it is. It's typically not a huge risk unless you're trying to remove corals that have palytoxin in them. It is naturally found in certain types of green paly's, zoas and more commonly in matting types like tuberculosa or caesia which are not common in our hobby because they are ugly and malignant.

Anyway, whatever you do, don't go trying to boil them off the rock...

Reef tanks are like gardens, you got to keep them weeded and trimed. If you use a laissez faire appraoch then then your animal selction should be done accordingly. Like I said BTAs have caused me a lot more grief and expense than Xenia, GSP, TTP or Yellow Stone/Rock polyps combined. It takes weeks for polyps to creep up on something. It takes a BTA a few hours to crawl across your tank and kill your prized frag you just spent $100 on.

My zoas and palys don't seem to care about the BTA. I never get stung, noticeably, by anemones but I will say that BTA are what I'd call weedy. Mine keep splitting and moving and splitting, My one has become 5! I'm half tempted to put them in a separate tank, or fill a bucket with water and set up shop next to one of the beef jerky salesmen on the side of 71. Anemones, stop for free sample! hahaha

If you like the look of them, why not keep them?

There are plenty of corals like GSP, Xenia, and Kenya tree, along with several types of palys that some of us think are invasive or ugly, but others love.

So if you like them, and have space for them, why not keep it?

I currently have Mohawk and Radioactive Dragon eyes taking over and choking out other zoas that I love. I would love to get rid of them, but others would think they were great!

But then I have a smaller colony of 5 polyps of mohawks on the other side of the tank, that hasn't grown a new polyp in 6 months.

So just because its prolific and "annoying" in one persons tank, doesn't mean it will do the same in yours.

If you ever consider fragging those Mohawk zoas let me know. I'd love to introduce them to my tank. Im wanting to kind of get the zoa garden covering most of the tank look.

I kept the palys. They look alright under my lighting, a lot better than some of the pics I've seen. They grow fast, but not that fast. In a few weeks time ive only seen one new polyp form. I'm going to just keep them segregated and stay on top of spreading.