Clarkii keeps trying to bury favia brain

Bpb

Anybody have any idea why she keeps obsessively trying to do this? I've moved this brain many times over the past few months and no matter where in the sandbed I put it, my clarkii does the sandstorm bit and literally buries it 100%. She ONLY does this to the favia colony. It never gets to sit out for more than a few days before she buries it and I have to reach in and unearth it? Is she saying she hates it? Makes no sense to me. I'm almost ready to get rid of this fish, or the brain coral...most likely the fish

That's odd. It's frustrating really. I like the clarkii, it's just been alot of trouble. Bullies my other fish quite a bit, makes sandstorms constantly, and is burying coral. It came with the tank, and I hate to get rid of it, but it has been a major source of stress with this tank. I'm going to try to continue making the sandbed alot more shallow to see if that helps (Trying to gradually go from a 6" sandbed to a 1" sandbed), maybe I can keep the brain in a rock overhand off the sandbed. It hates bright light though and bleaches easily. Hmm....decisions decisions.

In the Clarkiis defense, ours did stop making sandstorms when: 1) they had an anemone to host (this kept them up away from the sandbed, and snuggling in their anemone), 2) when I fed them more often (it seemed like the female would sandstorm all over the place, and then go back and look for food there, as if she was hoping she had buried some earlier), 3) when I stopped smoothing the sandbed out- she liked the contours and once I left them, she stopped trying to make them.

You COULD try putting a shelf piece wedged on the bottom (levitating almost from under a corner of another rock) just a few inches off the sandbed, or a small piece in the sandbed (about 4' off) and put the favia on top. That would keep it from bleaching and keep it from being buried. However, if she knocks it off, turns the rock over, etc. then you know she really does just hate the favia....

Thanks for the replies y'all. I'd like to actually change to a classic ocellaris clown by itself, but don't have the time or inclination to find a good home for my clarkii and then find and quarantine a new clown and add it for several months. I'll live with my clarkii for now and try to think about rearranging my rock work. I have a good low non sandy spot I can move the favia to, just have to relocate the finger leather that claims that spot.

The clarkii is very large and healthy and is full of character. Almost seems...smart if that makes sense. But this favia was knocking on deaths door. Soft parts were almost snow white when I got it, and with feeding and husbandry I have nursed it back to its marroon color it should be. Definitely don't want to get rid of it. It's my first "trophy" in coral keeping even though it's just a plain non-expensive specimen.

• Like 1

In the Clarkiis defense, . . . 2) when I fed them more often (it seemed like the female would sandstorm all over the place, and then go back and look for food there, as if she was hoping she had buried some earlier . . .

Are you telling my all the times I've had female clowns attack me they were just wanitng to be fed more and not that they didn't like me? doh.gif

In the Clarkiis defense, . . . 2) when I fed them more often (it seemed like the female would sandstorm all over the place, and then go back and look for food there, as if she was hoping she had buried some earlier . . .

Are you telling my all the times I've had female clowns attack me they were just wanitng to be fed more and not that they didn't like me? doh.gif

Well, in your case.... ;)

(To make you feel better, my female maroon would dart across the 75g just to bite me crab.gif )

Well, in your case.... wink.png

(To make you feel better, my female maroon would dart across the 75g just to bite me crab.gif )

Ha. Ha. Ha.