KimP 65gal build (plus nano pics in post 1)

KimP

First, here are pictures from my nanos. The lagoon is what I got from the the frag swap in April. It's been growing great! So great in fact, that it needs thinning as you can see. I have one really neat macro that has these triangle leaves. I have a few fish in there that get along great and I have to feed a lot to keep the macro growing and happy with so much light. I've really enjoyed it. I have a problem with cyano in the rubble box, but it's clearing up nicely with added flow.

post-1781-0-25055300-1346210140_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-22557800-1346210142_thumb.jp

the pic is a little blurry but hopefully you can see the triangle leaves.

post-1781-0-96677400-1346210143_thumb.jp

some neat little blue cloves

The LPS tank is my main tank and I'm going to keep it running as is when the 65 gets set up. I love this tank! For one, the tank itself is just awesome. It's a Cadlights 8g I got from jestep, with a cerameco arch already in it. I put my AI Sol over it from my 47g and kinda shocked the coral and bleached two of my blasto frags. I dropped the % of lights waaaay down (thanks to advice from timfish - thank you!) and everything has recovered and is thriving. I also added in a tiny powerhead that came with my ecopico for added flow. I don't run anything in the back except for a bag of chemipure. I try to do at least one small water change a week, sometimes twice a week. I was very happy to get this tank already running so the hard waiting part was already over. My favorite coral is blastos so I wanted a place to display them and the cerameco is perfect. When shutting down my 47g seahorse tank, I ended up putting my lobos in too, and a few others. I had a lot of trouble getting the colors to show up how they really look under these leds. That's frustrating. All of the colors are darker than they show up, and some even look white and they're not white at all, but hopefully you can get the idea. When I get the 65 set up, a few of the frags in here will go into it. Mainly a few from the sand bed and the frag up on the glass. The rest will stay. This has been a very successful tank. Most of my blastos have new heads in the past couple months, and my dendros are adding new heads too. I'm also having great luck getting the cup corals to add heads. Such an easy tank!

post-1781-0-14120800-1346210157_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-33647100-1346210160_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-57997800-1346210178_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-23696800-1346210148_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-88031700-1346210149_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-77517000-1346210151_thumb.jp

these are my big blue blastos. I love these!

post-1781-0-94672500-1346210153_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-36352600-1346210181_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-92737700-1346210183_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-53918600-1346210186_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-04790900-1346210188_thumb.jp

these look brown but are actually purple with a white ring. they were completely bleached smile.png

post-1781-0-34829200-1346210146_thumb.jp

Now for the 65gal. I have a steel stand being built that I need to skin before setting the tank up. Not exactly sure what I'm going to do for that yet.

Some equipment I've gathered or already had:

Coralife 4 bulb T5 fixture came with the tank

mp10

30 gal tank for a sump

2 AI Sol - super blue

Nano wavebox

ups

several misc koralia powerheads

I still need to get an overflow probably lifereef

return pump to run inside the sump

rock - leaning towards doing all dry rock from prof - I won a gift cert at the last meeting

sand

plumbing (I have no idea yet what all I need)

I'm still deciding between getting some tunze powerheads, or sticking with the koralia's I already have. I've ruled out vortechs due to noise and not being able to have cords on the side of the tank (toddler)

And of course I'm still working on what to put in the sump, if anything. I'm busy reading the Sprung and Delbeek book before making up my mind. Leaning towards a dsb as long as I can come up with good, reliable battery back up for flow and oxygen. I have a ups but also looking at battery powered air pumps.

Anyone have experience with the tunze powerheads? It looks like there are only 2 choices. The tank is 48" long and only 12" wide, so I was thinking one on each end.

No pictures yet. The tank is still sitting dirty in the garage. As soon as I get the stand I'll start getting things put together!!

I love the nano's. I really need to find out your light cycles on the lagoon tank.

As for circulation on the 65, I was running a Tunze 6100 in the 120. It was absolutely silent and was enough flow to keep the entire tank without dead spots. It is older, but I loved how quiet it was.

I love the nano's. I really need to find out your light cycles on the lagoon tank.

As for circulation on the 65, I was running a Tunze 6100 in the 120. It was absolutely silent and was enough flow to keep the entire tank without dead spots. It is older, but I loved how quiet it was.

That's great news about the tunze. I figured they move more water than the koralias.

About the lagoon lighting, it's actually way too much light. It's a 4 bulb T5 and it's on it's default timer settings of a 12hr light cycle. I have too many fish and feed a lot to keep nutrients up for the macro. It's been working well for a while now.

The Black Molly contrast against the green and red macros is an awesome picture. The lagoon looks great.

http://marineplantbook.com/marinebookpaspaloides.htm

I finally found the reference to the triangular leaves on this feather caulerpa. My Drawf Angels pigged out on this stuff.

Patrick

http://www.petmounta...d-air-pump.html

I had one of thes on a client 29G biocube when Hurricane Rita came thru DeRidder, La. We were without electricity for 14 days. When this dentist friend went to his office on day 10 he was surprised to see his bubbler still working with a reduced output. He saved his dsb and livestock during a catestropic event. I recommend two of these in a tank that is 4' long. Even if you have a UPS, it will not last for the duration of this simple air pump. At a cost of $15, it is a cheap insurance policy. It provides one more source of redundency in the most important component of our marine tanks, oxygen.

With respect to a dsb in the refugium sump, I would lean toward a mud and a macro filter. IMO, the mud componant provides for much biodiversity for feeding the reef and the macro filter provides for much nutriant processing and a matrix for larger micro inverts like amphipods and bristle worms. In my experience mud filters are less maintenace and no requirement to look pretty. If you choose a macro that is palpable to fish, then you have nutriant recycling or if you prune macro for removal, then you have nutiant export.

Patrick

Did you end up upgrading the lighting on the 8? Tanks all look great. The blasto's look super happy.

Thanks. I'm certain the success is largely due to you getting it off to a good start! I actually pulled the stock light off, added 3 strips of leds from the ecopico to it, and I now have it over the frag tank (not pictured). I've been running an AI Sol unit over it, turned waaaaay down. I didn't feel like selling it when I shut down my big tank.

With respect to a dsb in the refugium sump, I would lean toward a mud and a macro filter. IMO, the mud componant provides for much biodiversity for feeding the reef and the macro filter provides for much nutriant processing and a matrix for larger micro inverts like amphipods and bristle worms. In my experience mud filters are less maintenace and no requirement to look pretty. If you choose a macro that is palpable to fish, then you have nutriant recycling or if you prune macro for removal, then you have nutiant export.

Patrick

So for a mud refugium, does that consist of a smaller amount of mud than a dsb? Then you just grow macro in it or above it?

Patrick

So for a mud refugium, does that consist of a smaller amount of mud than a dsb? Then you just grow macro in it or above it?

Mud would be 1" deep, maximum. Mud filter does not do denitrification chemistry. The macro algae consume nitrogen, phosphate, heavy metals as well as large amounts of calcium and magnesium. It really does not matter which macro that you grow. Chaeto would be the easiest. I found Caulerpa Prolifera to grow well in the mud. Prolifera is palpable to fish and people. I am experimenting with misting with olive oil and seasoning and then dry slightly for a veggie snack.

Kim, I think that you would like the multitude of biodiversity that exist in the organic soup of "The Mud". I will get you a lighted magnifying glass for Christmas. I would love to try some dendros, if you have some to spare.

Lol, you and me both. I've never had a sump before so I'm really clueless. Maybe the tube isn't exposed to air on either side when the flow stops? That's what it sounds like at least. You use an airline tube to establish the siphon with all pumps off, then pull the tube out. I've read all the material they sent but haven't had a chance to actually play with it yet. I got the silencer just so I'd have it if needed (they give all of your money back for it if you don't need it) and that contraption looks very interesting! I spent some time today reading the plumbing chapter of my reef book and I'm still not positive on what materials to use to hook it all up. The lifereef directions make it sound like you use vinyl tubing but I've only seen people using pvc. I've only seen underneath a couple tanks, so I know nothing. I also need to decide on a return pump. Big enough and quiet.

• Like 1

Lol, you and me both. I've never had a sump before so I'm really clueless. Maybe the tube isn't exposed to air on either side when the flow stops? That's what it sounds like at least. You use an airline tube to establish the siphon with all pumps off, then pull the tube out. I've read all the material they sent but haven't had a chance to actually play with it yet. I got the silencer just so I'd have it if needed (they give all of your money back for it if you don't need it) and that contraption looks very interesting! I spent some time today reading the plumbing chapter of my reef book and I'm still not positive on what materials to use to hook it all up. The lifereef directions make it sound like you use vinyl tubing but I've only seen people using pvc. I've only seen underneath a couple tanks, so I know nothing. I also need to decide on a return pump. Big enough and quiet.

Kim,

You are right about both ends of tube being under water even when there is no flow, syphon is never broken. The flow starts back up when tank level rises. I have used overflow boxes from numerous manufactures. One word of caution on the u-tube syphon. Bubbles carried into DT skimmer box will be carried into syphon tube and collect at highest point in u-tube, if velocity of fluid in u-tube is too slow to carry bubbles down and out thru the syphon overflow box. With this consideration, I always ran a larger pump and throttle discharge with a valve. In this manner, I can optimize sump return flow. I would suggest a Mag 12. I have one you can use to see how it matches your requirements.

Patrick

• 3 months later...