Octopus... In my main DT Reef!

Jakedoza

I attended a seminar at Seattle Aquarium a few years back. They are known for housing several very large cephalopods and during the event they talked about their success and failures. One big problem they had was that they were successful feeding dead foods at first, but later had the animals refuse to eat. They started doing things like feeding live shrimp, crabs and fish. They would also give the animals problems to solve, like putting a fish inside a jar. They also added baby toys to the tank for the animals to play with.

I don't know from first hand experiences, but the Seattle Aquarium keeps specimens of the largest octopus species in the world. Worth looking into, if nothing but a cool google search.

The giant pacific ones they have up there in the Seattle aquarium are pretty amazing. The top to their tank is completely open as well, but there's about 5 ft of acrylic above the water. Basically a really big tube. I also saw a video of the octopus maze they setup a few years back. Really cool animals.

• 2 weeks later...

My dreaded fear may have come true... but that was the risk I took.. I went to permanently move the octopus to my 29 gal biocube and it was no where to be found.. I fear it has escaped into my main tank, but I have no way of knowing for sure. For the past couple of nights I have been keeping an eye out and getting up in the wee hours of the morning to check the tank for octo like movement, but I have not seen any. I do have a large porcelain crab that I have been keeping an eye on because from what I have heard.. the Octopus will go after crabs and such before fish.. I got a scare last night as I checked the tank. I found the skeleton of the crab, but later found him.. He must have just molted.. I will continue to keep an eye out.. I also think I will go buy a few crabs for the tank, as I'd rather lose them than fish.. If anyone has any ideas, please share.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...