Octopus... In my main DT Reef!

Jakedoza

Yep.. You heard me right.. I put an octopus in my main DT with all my other fish.. :)

div1.jpg

div2.jpg

top.jpg

top2.jpg

oct.jpg

oct2.jpg

I watched as it walked around the area and tested every corner for a way out.. I succeeded in creating a sealed box in the main DT with flow..

"I watched as it walked around the area and tested every corner for a way out.. I succeeded in creating a sealed box in the main DT with flow.. "

Does this remind anybody else of Jurrasic Park and the Raptor cage?

hahaha... just realized.. Hopefully my cage wont fail with a power outage.. lol

I love octopi, but have heard of the many challenges in keeping them (them getting bored, escape-artist capabilities, etc.). Tell us a bit more about it! What kind, how large will it get, what does it eat, is it reef-safe/fish-safe? Long-term plans for keeping it?

I did get it at RCA.. it is small, so it will grow. Not sure on the species, it is brown though. I will be feeding ghost shrimp primarily, but I did put a couple of larger hermits in there as well as a couple of chromis fish. It is reef safe, but not fish/mollusk/crustacean safe. Thus the reasoning for sectioning off a small part of the tank.

The area is 6x11x24.. almost 7gallons of water space..

I learned something else interesting while researching.. Though I and many others have used the term "octopi", it is actually incorrect. Since the word Octopus is of Greek origin and not Latin. The archaic plural of octopus is octopodes, but octopus has been used in the English language for centuries and is considered an English word. Octopuses is the actual correct word to be used when referring to more than one octopus..

Reference:

http://grammarist.com/usage/octopi-octopuses/

• 2 weeks later...

That's the other reason I never tried one. If you have any decent rockwork then you'll never see him. Feeding is pretty expensive as well, unless you can catch a variety of foods. Octos are more prone to starvation and escaping if they get bored with their food selection.