Vortech vs. Wavebox?

Juiceman

I currently have 2 MP40's running my 7x2x2 tank on the ends. I've been wanting to add another MP40 to the center back of the tank to add some flow to the center of the tank. I contemplating adding a Wavebox on one of the sides and moving that MP40 to the center. Not sure if there's merit in one or the other.

Thoughts from those who use Waveboxes over Vortechs?

Thoughts from those who use Vortechs over Waveboxes?

I love the flow patterns the MP40's give me, will that combo work?

I feel like they occupy a bit of a different niche. The wavebox's sacrifice tunability for superior wave production. The MP10s allow you to change settings and get the flow exactly right. In conclusion, what derrick said... :)

I wouldn't mind getting 2 MP-40's to add to my system for supplemental flow and to get rid of those stupid koralias, but in either case, I would still keep my wavebox for the wave it makes. Two different niches indeed. One makes a great wave, the other can make a good wave, and also do a bunch of other cool stuff too. If I could have both, then for sure. If I could only pick one, I might have chosen the MP-40's first then added the wavebox later.

-Ty

I've made this offer before for someone in the a similar situation: I have a large tunze wavebox siting on a shelf that I just haven't been motivated to sell. You're welcome to borrow it for a few days to see if you like it.

I've made this offer before for someone in the a similar situation: I have a large tunze wavebox siting on a shelf that I just haven't been motivated to sell. You're welcome to borrow it for a few days to see if you like it.

What did they go with? lol.

They went with their original x4 koralia's, because they are a big time slacker... I am actually willing to take you up on in now, but if I end up loving it what are the chances of you selling it to me?

Edit, my tank is a 3x3 square though, so there are more issues involve. For a 7 foot tank I would think the wavebox is a no brainer since you can make a really nice wave.

Edited by Entropy

Ok, So I picked up the wave box from Richard and tried it out.

For this experiment I turned off all my returns and Vortechs.

Had some technical issues but the time when I did get it going. It had alot more reach than the Vortechs.

I run my Vortechs at about 60% fyi

I ran the Wavebox at 100%.

The Wavebox reached all the way to the other side of the tank.

The Vortech right next to it reaches about 4 feet but dissapates. (Just over half the tank)

Conclusion:

In the little time that I had it running, it was clear that it works in making a wave, but falls short of variations in flow or direction. I enjoy the semi randomness that comes from the Vortechs, also the Large Torch that was directly behind the wavebox got almost no flow, whereas with the vortech it gets a nice mave motion from the water around the pump. As a few said, I think its up to your preference and what you want your tank to look like. I personally will stick with Vortech.

Thanks Richard!

Do you have the EcoSmart MP 40's? I have 2 and am really wanting to get a 3rd so that I can try the EcoSmart Nutrient Transport Mode. It requires one on each side of the tank plus at least 1 on the back. If it works like it says it will, I would rather have that than a Wavebox. However, I don't know anyone that has tried it. Right now I'm using the EcoSmart Tidal Swell Mode and I think it's great. It does an EXCELLENT job of keeping the sand bed clean and the water moving. I still aim a k3 behind the rockwork just for piece of mind.

In my opinion, the Vortechs have a better performance but that comes with a hefty price tag.

These EcoSmart modes can be found on pages 19 and 20 of the pdf manual.

I agree. You can put flow all over the place with power heads so they are a must, but for a high volume water displacement device, a wave box is unbeatable. Its basically flow vs displacement, two totally different animals. The beauty of a wave box for me is that nothing will settle on my sand bed with wave box is running. Even with multiple power heads, stuff will settle on the sand. If I turn my wave box off for a few hours, when I turn it back on stuff immediately starts coming up off of the sand bed and into my overflow box. I think in a reef tank, both are needed. However, vortechs are to me, nothing more than a cross between the two.

• 2 weeks later...

In the little time that I had it running, it was clear that it works in making a wave, but falls short of variations in flow or direction. I enjoy the semi randomness that comes from the Vortechs, also the Large Torch that was directly behind the wavebox got almost no flow, whereas with the vortech it gets a nice mave motion from the water around the pump. As a few said, I think its up to your preference and what you want your tank to look like. I personally will stick with Vortech.

For what it's worth, they serve different purposes. Vortech units are powerheads with a wave pulse function. Wavebox units are wave pumps, with their sole purpose being to create & maintain a wave.

This comes up quite frequently on the Tunze RC subforum, and both Roger and regular users are quick to point out that you do not use the Wavebox by itself - as it is a wave device, not a flow device. If you can afford the space of both pumps and a wavebox in your tank, it's unbeatable. If you cannot, then just settle for Vortechs or Stream pumps, even if you must set them to pulse as you see fit.

i have a 5' tank and a big wavebox on one end with 2 6105s on on each end facing the front glass. the wavebox is at 100 percent and the 2 6105s are only at 60 percent. I love this combo ALOT, tons of flow. Also i have 2 3/4' returns, one on each side of the back glass, that are split with a "Y" lockline being fed by a reeflo hammerhead return pump so i guess its easy to say i have tons of flow. I think in the end you will like the use of a wave box (cause it moves the whole water columb) and powerheads be it which ever you choose.