tank leaking. anyone have water storage? Contained!

jaggedfire

Thanks to all who have responded or pm, what an incredible club membership. I am currently holding in 5 Totes (~150 gallons, 150#lr, 7 fish, tangs mostly).

I don't trust these Totes long term but between the livestock and rock I will have to keep at least two. I may look into a large trough....just depends on how long this takes to fix. I am going to need vertical water storage. I really don't want to mix all that up again....

Really lucky I was there when the leak started and i sealed the bottom of my stand with kilz. Had an inch on the floor and inside the stand but it held ,most everything until I got the situation managed.

Lessons learned:

Wet vac!

Towels, you don't have enough. Period.

Buckets, troughs, totes; water containment vessels are required.

An extra pump at arms length or a fast way to rig your current one.

GFCI

.......Mostly, Great people who help!

Thanks everyone.

I am considering repair options as I cleaned out the entire tank last night (this morning). It is currently drying and the leak appears to have been on a 1 in seam on the lower back glass. The bottom seems to bow down and back can flex out.

My proposed fix as this tank is euro braced and has an integrated surround is this:

post-2213-0-03169600-1344464234_thumb.pn

My thinking is that this would provide > 2x the mating area to seal and minimize flex. Flex should not be an issue as the tank is built on a plywood deck, but this will also have to be addressed.

I would do this to the entire bottom panel or can to just the back panel. I prefer to not disassemble the entire tank, but will if I have to. Since there is an integrated surround, all of this would be hidden under the substrate.

Ideas? Recommendations or experiences? Will this work? Maybe?

I've got 4 35gallon barrels with hose bib at the bottom of them. I'm far north but your welcome to use them nick.

Thank you Chris. I am still sorting out what I can do and best options for medium term. Short term, I am toting it! A few of these may be good if some 55's dont work out.

Hopefully if I get the go ahead with repair, it wont be long term.

Thank you again!

I like your idea with the Euro-bracing. If you saw where the leak migrated out of the tank, that is where I would glue and feather out. In the old days, I fixed a small leak on a tank with water in it. With water in the tank, I got some clay in the seam where leak came from. Water pressure pushed clay into small crack in seam with clay sealing up the leak. Most clays swell when they are hydrated.

Since you have everything out of tank, I would silicone the tank and after it is cured fill tank with municipal water and leak test for 6 hours. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I have two 55G polypropalyne barrels.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick. So far the moved corals are back in the 20 long but most all the coral is still in the 25. The fish are in 2 large tote with rock and the rest of the water is in large drums. Things are becoming manageable, but feel this tank is going to be tricky to repair.

Many thanks to everyone that have come to aid. I owe many favors!