red bugs

reefer74

Well...I got a case of the bugs, and a simple trip to the clinic ain't gonna take care of these bad boys. Anyone have any experience with ridding themselves of these pests? Interceptor seems to be the way to go but of course I don't own any dogs...I don't have any vet buddies, and I think I heard Interceptor was pulled from the market. So if anyone has any experience with treating interceptor and ridding their tank of these I would love to hear about it. My tank is a 60 gallon with a 29 gallon sump. I've never had them before and the only change was introducing a whole bunch of new live rock into my system, so I'm sure it came over that way. Thanks again for the help in advance...

Johnny G.

512-826-8737

Can you post a good closeup picture? I've had the red planaria a few times but have always been able to control them just by syphoning them off during water changes. The times I've had them has always been in months 4 - 10 of setting up a tank but not every tank I've set up has had them or had them grow explosively. Sometimes they've shown up sooner and sometimes later but it takes about 2 or 3 months to work through the population explosion then they start to recede and are hardly noticable 6 - 8 months later.

• Like 1

http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=27859&cat=1035&page=1

This is an effective product. However, you will be disrupting bacteria biological filtration. I don't care what the sales brocure says. I focus on the bottom of the food chain. I have often found that when you take care of the little details, the big things take care of themselves. While you may be correct about the using canine medications, I can't see the savings when you compare the less than $20 cost of the precise drug that you need with nothing else added. I treated for Red Planaria ten years ago. I would caution you on the use of these drugs with heavy infestations. When I have smasked red planaria against glass, a strong iodine smell was evident. Due diligence to removing these populations of dead bugs is critical to treatment success.

I agree with Tim. With good tank husbandry of nutriant removal and goood circulation red bugs are not a big deal. With a healthy biodiversity, they would not have an explosivbe population..

Thx for the response sub...guess it was right around the same time I posted saying it wasn't the red planaria. I've helped a friend out with those flat worms and syphoning and syphoning was the only way we managed to get those things out of there back in the day.

I was reading up on it and it also looks promising but there were times when the red bugs came back...at this point I believe a tank treatment would be best...I have heard two diffrent responses to the treatment with interceptor one group said that they were able to treat and not have any of their shrimp or crustaceans die off and the vast majority of others seem to say that it will most definitely kill those species. Wondering if anyone had tried this method before and what types of results they attained.

I have treated redbug's with the interceptor treatment. One treatment may not enough since the true life cycle of redbug's is not known, it is suggested that you repeat treatments for 3 weeks in a row.

Cheers,

I was reading up on the treatment process and yes treat once wait anywhere from 3 days to a week then treat again and again the following week. I'll be starting this treatment Either today or tomorrow.

I repeated 3 treatments with interceptor and have not seen a red bug since. The bayer dip works well if you can remove the coral and able to dip it 3 times in the span of a couple of weeks.

The bigger trouble is obtaining interceptor. It's hard to get with it being pulled from the vet shelves and without having a dog in the first place. I would try ordering online, perhaps through Canada?

-Ty

I was able to acquire some from my sister in law, and she told me that they are actually going to start stocking it again. I imagine it won't be long before it's easily accessible again from a vet.