Water Storage

dapettit

I know this topic came up earlier I just can't find the post. . .

I am creating my on RO/DI water. It is being stored in a 55 gallon drum until I need to mix up some salt or top off. Does the water need to be kept circulating (to keep from going stagnate)? Everything is telling me yes but I’m not sure about RO/DI water. Just want to confirm my thinking.

TIA,

Dave-

It is not like acid or anything. I am by no means a chemistry major, but basically (for us simple folk) when you DI water you end up making it extremely friendly and it will bond with just about anything, which is basically the reverse of the process (DI) that got it to pure in the first place. That's why a lot of semiconductor companies use it to wash parts and to run through their systems because it will keep the systems cleaner.

• 4 years later...

Resurrecting this old thread... i finally setup my salt mixing station w/ 55g barrels, and prefer not running the pump for the salt water storage 24/7. is it ok to run it 4x a day for say 15min each?

I'm using a Mag5.

Edited by Mitch

What you are combating against by agitating the water is elements coming back out of aqueous solution. Mixing will counteract that by churning the natural gradient of heavier saline water on the bottom of the barrel and less saline water at the top of the barrel. I don't have personal experience with storing large quantities of saltwater, but I would think that you would be OK doing minimal mixing. That pump is in pretty caustic conditions already, so turning it on/off that many times per day may not be optimal for pump longevity. I might suggest fewer on periods, but for a longer interval (2x for 30 minutes or maybe even once a day for an hour).

What is the turnover like in the barrel in terms of how much SW you are using per week?

@brian, i get a chalky white residue (vs "film"), and i was previously running continuously an MJ1200.

@victoly, i've been pretty lax about water changes, so maybe 20 to 25g once per month. i understand your statement about things coming out of solution if it's not continously agitated, and am willing to "loose" some in trade for less power consumption. i will assume what will come out of solution is more of this chalky residue noted. as far as the salt water being caustic to the pump, the pump itself is not submerged so i would think only the impeller and internal "chamber" would be at risk, with the impeller considered a wearable item anyways.

@brian, i get a chalky white residue (vs "film"), and i was previously running continuously an MJ1200.

@victoly, i've been pretty lax about water changes, so maybe 20 to 25g once per month. i understand your statement about things coming out of solution if it's not continously agitated, and am willing to "loose" some in trade for less power consumption. i will assume what will come out of solution is more of this chalky residue noted. as far as the salt water being caustic to the pump, the pump itself is not submerged so i would think only the impeller and internal "chamber" would be at risk, with the impeller considered a wearable item anyways.

i don't think that it has to be continuously agitated, some of the reactions happen fairly slowly. It might be the kind of thing where semiannually you use up all of your mixed water and give the barrel a vinegar or HCL bath to remove residue.

Just want to throw this out there. If I continually mix my water, the pump warms it up too much to use. So I get it mixed for 24hrs or so and turn of the pump to let it cool to room temp. It's not much warmer, but I like it to be the same temp.