Questions about zoas/palys

KimP

I've recently decided to get back into keeping (or trying to keep) zoas and palys.. I never could keep them in my old tank. Anyway, I've been doing pretty good with them for a while but have some questions.

How do you know if they aren't getting enough light? Do they stretch? Not open? Melt away? Seem normal, and just not grow?

What might cause them to lose color and turn brown but open and otherwise look normal?

What do they tend to do if the light is too bright?

Thanks!

I've recently decided to get back into keeping (or trying to keep) zoas and palys.. I never could keep them in my old tank. Anyway, I've been doing pretty good with them for a while but have some questions.

How do you know if they aren't getting enough light? Do they stretch? Not open? Melt away? Seem normal, and just not grow?

What might cause them to lose color and turn brown but open and otherwise look normal?

What do they tend to do if the light is too bright?

Thanks!

Normally if they are not getting enough light they will stretch, and possibly inflate as large as possible (to gather more light). For the ones that lose color, normally that's a sign of too much light. They will also close up tight and refuse to open if they are getting too much light.

Remember, each kind of zoa and paly may have different light requirements. My Gobstoppers like medium light, my Purple Mambas like high light, and my Paradise microzoas seem to like low light.

Often color in coral are pigments which shield the coral from intensity and spectrum of light. Reduction in intensity, over time can yield to washing out of color as shielding pigments are no longer required. Floresence in coral is a seperate phenomina in which pigments are excited by an energy input and respond with an energy output.

http://www.advanceda...m/2005/2/lines/

Hope this helps.

Patrick

Thank you for all the info, I could tell they had different requirements, just which ones needed which was confusing. I'm getting ready to glue them to the rocks around the tank, so this info is very useful. It cleared everything up quite a bit! I have 2 different palys that turned brown on me and I now have them in very low light. It'll be interesting to see how fast they can color back up...or how slow.