Possible RTN?

RUSH

So I just got through fragging my 4 inch piece of Cali Tort due to what looks like RTN. It was bleaching on the sides, back and it developed a spot on top. I fragged it into 2 pieces of what still had tissue. So my question is what are the odds of it recovering and is there anything I can do to help it recover? Thanks for any input on this.

=Chris

And so after fragging the tort we still had total meltdown. Not sure exactly what caused it. All of my parameters were good. The only recent thing was a dose of Chemi-clean to nuke a massive Cyano outbreak. I did what the instructions said so I am at a loss.

-Chris

If you had cyano, your nutrient content was far too high. High nutrient content will cause brown out and RTN on delicate SPS. My green milli is on its last leg but my green slimer is doing great. It all depends on the coral. Either way, it sounds like the nutrient content is you culprit.

For us non-SPSers and newbies, what is RTN?

Rapid tissue necrosis - all the skin literally melts away from the calcium carbonate skeleton in less than 24hrs.

Thank you, I was wondering the same thing. :) Sorry to read about it and hope to learn.

Ya its hard to stop rtn I always hope for stn ( slow tissue necrosis) cuz you can save that coral most likely but rtn is a tough one and sometime just happens I have had sps gone through h*ll and back and when they are looking its best they rtn overnight

If you had cyano, your nutrient content was far too high. High nutrient content will cause brown out and RTN on delicate SPS. My green milli is on its last leg but my green slimer is doing great. It all depends on the coral. Either way, it sounds like the nutrient content is you culprit.

Hmm I was hoping it wasn't high nutrients. I do 5 gallon WC weekly (20g nano) and did one 48hrs after doing chemi clean. I run a Reef Octopus BH1000 with a AC70 refugium and it hasn't really been pulling anything out. I'll be doing another 5 gallon change tomorrow to get the loose streamers of cyano.

-Chris

I had a nasty episode of RTN last summer, swept through half of my tank. I'm pretty sure my cause was that the tank got too hot, you might want to check this as well as the days are getting warmer.

If there is a rapid increase in your tanks temperature this could trigger a RTN episode and the bad thing about RTN is that at least for me is that it was “contagious”, so any corals that were touching or close to another coral that was RTN'ng would also start. If you see even a little bit of RTN on adjacent corals be sure to frag and move somewhere else in the tank.