Chipp's Shallow Reef Starter

chippwalters

I saw your tank yesterday and I'm impressed! I would have expected a lot more agae at this point 3 - 3 1/2 months after the crash. Some of it may be the "detrius removal" function of the Vortech but I would think Shane's appoarch to cryptic refugiums by including a lot of "seasoned" rubble has a lot to do with it also (if not more so).

Not bad for just being in the tank for two days. They are both from the same parent colony but have been growing in different tanks under different lighting. The thinner specimans being under lower light than the thicker one. It will be interesting to see how they compare in a month or two. New growth should be noticable in another week.

• 3 months later...

Been a while since my last post. A lot has happened. Pretty much going forward with an all LPS tank.

The tank was just too shallow to support SPS and not bleach out all the LPS on the bottom.

Here are some latest images.

y6atage4.jpg

ane6a8yq.jpg

y9uma3aj.jpg

egu5a8et.jpg

Edited by chippwalters

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Of course the gbta doesn't want to behave, and has now crawled around back. So far, it hasn't harmed anything, but I'm still moving corals around 'just to be sure' until he settles down.

I have to say, I did have some doubts for awhile there about this whole cryptic sump business, but it really is working great now. I clean the glass maybe every other week-- I've let it go longer with than 2 weeks with still no notable algae or scum. So very low maintenance as all I do is add some live bacteria solution, change out the filter each week, and top off the water. I've been doing water changes every 2 weeks lately and pumped up the lighting as well to 100% from the Radion and things are looking really good. No skimmer, just a bag of charcoal and one of Purigen every couple months and I've been good.

Tim's and Patricks frogspawn are very healthy. Brian's magnificent Duncans are gorgeous and Aqua Ranch's acans and Japanese Dendro are rocking. I did buy a beautiful cleaner shrimp, but the powerhead got him the next day. Ouch.

A couple pics from my iPhone:

2013-05-26%2019.29.20.jpg

2013-05-26%2019.32.22.jpg

2013-05-26%2019.44.57.jpg

Oh, and I did splurge for one of these:

52358b_4e64225363fb487d10e1cd2d7a163693.

It's called an Ogle Macro Viewer (for aquariums) and it's supposed to work great with smartphones. We'll see.

Edited by chippwalters

I like your new toy. I can't imagine better pictures than the quality that you already post.

With an LPS dominated tank, you may want to consider a Sea Apple. With your excellence of care in feeding your pretties, a Sea Apple would flourish in your tank.

La bonne temps roulee,

Patrick

post-766-0-52400000-1369621791_thumb.jpg

post-766-0-71200900-1369621845_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Got rid of the GBTA. Wasn't looking good and started walking around the tank a bit and just didn't want to chance it. Replaced it with a very nice Krypto Hammer. Finally got around to purchasing a decent camera. Ended up with a Lumix G5-K micro 4/3 which has just been reduced to $400, and also bought a nice Olympus ED 60mm f2.8 macro lens. Just playing around and took these shots:

2013-06-15-16.32.jpg

2013-06-15-16.33.jpg

2013-06-15-16.34.jpg

2013-06-15-16.37.jpg

2013-06-15-16.54.jpg

2013-06-15-16.55.jpg

2013-06-15-16.58.jpg

2013-06-15-17.02.jpg

Nice photos. I really like the third one here you have two areas/corals in crisp focus. I like the second to the last coral. What kind is that?

The second to last pic is Patricks frogspawn frag I picked up from him a few months ago. He had a tank crash last year and thought he had lost all his mixed frogspawn. Then, slowly, it started coming back. I got a small frag. Some great krypto tips! I hope to get it all the way back and then reseed him with new frags.

Edited by chippwalters
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...