How to set-up a live webcam for your tank?

Juiceman

There are about a thousand ways to do it. Easiest IMO is to get a wifi cam and integrate it into your network. I'm

Pondering using the wireless bridge I'm using for my apex to host a regular Ethernet cam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Late last year I won a 4-camera security system (from 104.9 the Horn and the Spy Exchange). Since it had internet access to the monitor and cameras, I wanted to point two cameras at my DT and two at the dogs/exterior. Their S/W wouldn't install on my laptop, because I have Win7 (both home and work). It only works with WinXP & Win Vista, doh!

What is the make/model of the camera george? There are quite a few 3rd party apps that might run your server/cam setup.

It's an SVT system with Samsung monitor and HD as a complete system. I contacted SVT and they said it's obsolete and they won't be making a Win7 version of their S/W. I can still use it as a security system as the DVR and monitor work well, I just can't view it remotely.

What is the make/model of the camera george? There are quite a few 3rd party apps that might run your server/cam setup.

It's an SVT system with Samsung monitor and HD as a complete system. I contacted SVT and they said it's obsolete and they won't be making a Win7 version of their S/W. I can still use it as a security system as the DVR and monitor work well, I just can't view it remotely.

Will it work on Win 7 running in XP mode?

Late last year I won a 4-camera security system (from 104.9 the Horn and the Spy Exchange). Since it had internet access to the monitor and cameras, I wanted to point two cameras at my DT and two at the dogs/exterior. Their S/W wouldn't install on my laptop, because I have Win7 (both home and work). It only works with WinXP & Win Vista, doh!

Or will it work with a linux OS since you can boot it from a USB stick and don't have to worry about partitioning at all.

I experimented with Skype last night. I set it up to only answer automatically people from my "contacts" which is the account on my phone. Worked fine. I'm going to try it while I'm at work today.

Juiceman, I suggest setting up a seperate account specifically for your home where you are the only other contact so you don't have any one else in your contact call your home.

There are also a couple other options you need to mess with such as showing available all the time and not going idle and the only accept calls from your contacts.

It didn't work from school, but it says I'm offline so I think it may have logged off my computer or went to sleep. I'll check settings when I get home.

Its the option that says idle me after x minutes and show me as offline after x minutes. Both have to be updated with a 0 value to turn them off.

You can install teamviewer (free)on both computers and leave it in an open session and when you get to school if theres another problem you can access your computer remotely and make the changes from there then retry again. Just enable it on one computer and write down your username and password then access it from the other computer.

I also enable my password to be remembered and for skype to startup on bootup in case there are any power failures or I restart my computer and forget to start skype up.

Here's a pic of my dog sleeping yesterday using my iphone to call home.

post-1271-0-01809000-1335375473_thumb.png

http://www.amazon.com/Dropcam-Wi-Fi-Wireless-Monitoring-Camera/dp/B006P88VSE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1335379145&sr=1-1

Here's one that is pretty much ready to go out of the box for web/mobile monitoring. I'm debating between this and a PTZ cam with video server (more complicated/expensive but better video quality).

• Like 1

I am using a Logitech - HD Pro Webcam C920 and it is sitting on top of my tv snaked through a wall using usb extenders. I have the sound going through my theater system so even if the tv is off I can still call my dogs to the living room to do a head count or wake their lazy butts up since all they do is sleep all day.

• Like 1

http://www.amazon.co...35379145&sr=1-1

Here's one that is pretty much ready to go out of the box for web/mobile monitoring. I'm debating between this and a PTZ cam with video server (more complicated/expensive but better video quality).

So it connects to the router via 802.11 b/g/n and then you just log into it? That's pretty cool. Let us know how that goes (if you get it).

http://www.amazon.co...35379145&sr=1-1

So it connects to the router via 802.11 b/g/n and then you just log into it? That's pretty cool. Let us know how that goes (if you get it).

Yep. I swear, with my thermostat, apex, all my wireless devices (iphones, ps3, wii, etc) it is amazing that I can stream a video with all that bandwidth chugged away.

I got it to work through Skype. I forgot we upgraded modems today and there was no modem in our network during the day today. Now my issue is my computers built in webcam can't handle the lights. I can see the tank but it's just super bright. I messed with the settings and it made it worse. Guess a better camera is needed.

I've found Foscam to be the best bang for your buck when it comes to IP cameras, have quite a few of these set up around my house:

http://www.amazon.com/Foscam-FI8918W-Wireless-Network-Viewing/dp/B0046710G6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1335465505&sr=1-1

They are cheap and I don't recommend dropping them. But for less than $100 bucks and they will pan. Most of the readily avaible IP camera phone software will support Foscam, this is imporant when you select your IP camera if you want to view from your celly. And, the built in software on the cameras is not too shabby.

-brett

I've found Foscam to be the best bang for your buck when it comes to IP cameras, have quite a few of these set up around my house:

http://www.amazon.co...35465505&sr=1-1

They are cheap and I don't recommend dropping them. But for less than $100 bucks and they will pan. Most of the readily avaible IP camera phone software will support Foscam, this is imporant when you select your IP camera if you want to view from your celly. And, the built in software on the cameras is not too shabby.

-brett

So that works the same with direct router 802.11 connection (no computer in the loop) and can be accessed via internet without S/W installs? I see it states, "viewable over the Internet network using the standard Safari browser," which probably means Firefox won't cut it. Isn't Safari an Apple OS app?