clownfish domestic dispute

dshel1217

I just saw my clownfishs ,one false perc and the other a maroon, really going at each other. Each had the others side fin in there mouth and they were going around. It look kinda bad. they are both the same size and the maroon was smaller at first. What should I do?

Had the same thing happen in my back yard the other day. Both of our beagles were going at it. One is a large breed and the other is a small breed. It was over a bone. We put them both down...

J/K but they did get their bones taken away. I vote to leave them. It's just a fight and they'll recover.

Ok sad.png I'm suprised I made it this long with the two

How long have you had them? It's usually a couple of years for clownfish to reach maturity so just because two cohbitated for a while doesn't neccessarily mean they will be be content with each other long term. On the other hand there are documented Ocellaris/Maroon crosses with viable hybrid offspring. If you want to be safe seperate them. If you want to try for a possible pairing as long as they are both eating and there is no continued or repeat fin damage leave them together.

Ok sad.png I'm suprised I made it this long with the two

How long have you had them? It's usually a couple of years for clownfish to reach maturity so just because two cohbitated for a while doesn't neccessarily mean they will be be content with each other long term. On the other hand there are documented Ocellaris/Maroon crosses with viable hybrid offspring. If you want to be safe seperate them. If you want to try for a possible pairing as long as they are both eating and there is no continued or repeat fin damage leave them together.

I have had the ocellaris for 1.5 years and the maroon about 1 yrs and your right they both where small when I got them. ill keep a eye on them and if it gets worse I will have to get rid of one.

Most of the different color forms of A. percula and A. ocellarus are common to both species so in most cases coloration can not be used to identify one species from the other. The all black coloration however is unique to A. Ocellarus so you should have pretty good odds of successfully pairing them off. The larger established A. ocellarus is almost certainly going to be the female and you will want to keep an eye on them when you put them together as clownfish divorces are never amicable.

Thanks Timfish... had the Oc. paired with a black Oc... which passed during a bad crash I had when first starting.

The Black Oc. was much smaller, so I'm guessing the Oc. is now the female. We'll see when the new tank is up and running and ready for the transplants :)

Maroon x occy hybrids do occur, but I've only ever heard of them happening at ORA where they say that (as unlikely as it sounds) the sperm have managed to survive a trip through the breeding tank system and successfully fertilised another pairs eggs(!)

I haven't ever seen a pair actually form between the 2. I expect it is possible (never say never!) :) but v unlikely. Definitely best to separate them. You might want to grab a cheap hang on the side breeding net for one of them until you find it a new home.