Mater pair of copperheads

Hydro

My wife found them in the garage, on my kids tractor getting it on....they got in with the garage door shut. When I got there they had climbed down on the floor. I caught them with my big fish net and a stick. One of them was easy but the other went behind a stack of boxes of tile, had to move all of the boxes to get it. I put them both in a bucket and had planned on releasing them in to the woods away from any houses. By chance I sent an email to Austin Reptile Service and the guy wants them! He teaches school kids about snakes and he also works on movie sets. Thought that was pretty cool.

post-1255-0-35055800-1334283313_thumb.jppost-1255-0-72333200-1334283479_thumb.jppost-1255-0-61295900-1334283492_thumb.jp

Remind me of this story the next time we talk about a meeting out at your place. I'm thinking that would put us in the December/January timeframe so that they're not active due to cold. *shudder*

• Like 1

When I was a kid living in Angleton, a lady in my neighborhood was killed by copperheads. She was gardening and stuck her hand into a nest. She thought the first bite was a thorn prick so stuck her hand back in...

When we lived in Elgin we saw plenty of rattlesnakes and the occasional water moccasin but never a copperhead. Yikes.

ahhh c'mon guys its just a couple of snakes. During the entire roundup process neither of the snakes even tried to strike at me or the net. Both just wanted to get away. They are pretty creatures and I didn't want to kill them, I try not to kill anything, I even catch spiders in my house and take them outside most of the time. I do kill scorpions though which I find in my house prolly once a month when its warm.

George what is funny about that is that I've never seen a rattlesnake around here, only copperheads and one coral snake. I killed the coral snake, this was years ago, and it made me feel guilty about doing it. If you have never seen one in person they are stunning, the colors are so rich....red, black, and yellow. It wasn't the imitator snake, it was the real deal.

When you live in the woods you trade the good for the bad. When it gets dark out here it gets really dark, no street lights, no car noises, no people....just the woods. Very peaceful place to live 99% of the time.

The only snakes I KOS are water moccasins, because they are very aggresive and territorial (was attacked numerous times while living around Chocolate Bayou and south of Houston) - and I doubt they'll ever be endangered. Probably be hanging out with the scorpians and **** roaches after we nuke the planet. dry.png I agree that copperheads are pretty, and they take care of your rodent population. Luckily my wife wasn't bothered by all the huge wolf spiders in our place in Elgin. That's probably because she was born and raised in Hawaii and doesn't have the instincts to fear anything out of the water (not even fire ants there).

The only snakes I KOS are water moccasins, because they are very aggresive and territorial (was attacked numerous times while living around Chocolate Bayou and south of Houston) - and I doubt they'll ever be endangered. Probably be hanging out with the scorpians and **** roaches after we nuke the planet. dry.png I agree that copperheads are pretty, and they take care of your rodent population. Luckily my wife wasn't bothered by all the huge wolf spiders in our place in Elgin. That's probably because she was born and raised in Hawaii and doesn't have the instincts to fear anything out of the water (not even fire ants there).

If a snake comes after me all bets are off.....I won't be having tha! Wolf spiders...boy you are right about that. They are HUGE and everywhere certain times of the year. I've seen some easily 3" across and they are aggressive if you mess with them. I don't catch those, they are poisonous I believe and are to hard to catch b/c they are so fast.

Some friends of mine live in puerto rico, they don't have any poisonous snakes there on the island, thought that was pretty cool.

ahhh c'mon guys its just a couple of snakes.

When you live in the woods you trade the good for the bad. When it gets dark out here it gets really dark, no street lights, no car noises, no people....just the woods. Very peaceful place to live 99% of the time.

Nope, unh-uh. Not happening. I am quite benevolent towards non-venomous snakes. I will catch and relocate, no problem. Venomous, if I see them. They are dead. Copperheads are pretty rare where I live, so are moccasins, just lots and lots of rattlers. I kill on average 6 a year on my property, I have no tolerance for them at all. I'm pretty rural, so I deal with the things on a regular basis. Catch and release rattlers are not on my agenda.

Nice find. My coworkers were nice enough to put a half dead rattlesnake they found on the road in my desk last fall, what a treat that was. Personally, I'm glad you saved them. I a big supporter of not killing snakes or any predatory animals at all.

Hellllll no. I was having a hard time sleeping a week or two ago and was flipping through the channels on tv. Rattlesnake Republic on Animal Planet was in the middle of a marathon and I stayed up practically all night watching it. I'm now too paranoid for my own good. My mother found a 6' long snake skin on her front porch yesterday. I'm constantly on the lookout now, haha

I got bitten by a brown recluse my senior year of high school that nearly killed me. I spent a few weeks in the hospital recovering. Venomous creatures don't stand a chance around me now if I see them first.

Never heard that wolf spiders where dangerous to humans though.

Growing up on a working cow/calf operation, snakes during the summer were an every day sort of thing. Of course, I used, and still use, something a little bigger than a bb gun. Unfortunately, snakes are the only thing around here that can be a problem. This year, it's skunks. I have NEVER seen this many at this time of year. We are in for a bad rabies year,. I am afraid.

Fun times are watching a water moccasin drop off a tree branch into a flat bottomed boat passing by. biggrin.png

hehehe watch a half-drunk guy bolt to the heavens. biggrin.png

I grew up in SW Louisiana, very much at home in swamps and marshes. Without a doubt, the Cotton Mouth Moccassain is the most aggressive posoinous snake in the America's. During my high shool days, hunting and fishing the Atchafalaya Basin was an important recreation. While duck hunting during the first season, a CottonMouth dropped in the flatbottomed boat between me and my best friend, John D Ritchey. John D's father was Chief of Police in Lafayette and we often would cruise in his fathers unmarked car. Well, John D blew out the bottom of the boat with two shots from his 12 gauge shotgun. As we slowly sank in 3' of water, I scholded John D for putting us in the cold water with the dead snake, 10 miles from camp.

Two hours later, both of us are on the rear sit of the 14' johnboat going full spped with 3/4 of the flat bottom boat out of the water (including two jagged hole). It was a hunt to remember.

When the snakes are poisonous, I kill them.

Patrick

Without a doubt, the Cotton Mouth Moccassain is the most aggressive posoinous snake in the America's.

Absolutely! Ratttlesnakes and copperheads try to avoid us, a moccasin will come towards you. Can be freaky when you are waist deep in water.

I have to agree with some people in that a non-venomous snake is no biggie...don't even bother them when I see them in the yard. Well, aside from grabbing the tail and making them scurry off. When we lived in town we had a coral snake under the storage shed...killed that sucker! Despite how beautiful they are, they have to go. We have way too many dogs to risk not killing them, and our neighbors dog just barely survived a copper head bite. Knowing my luck if I tried to catch it I'd lose it. We've been out here for four years and have seen a number of Rat Snakes...counting the one that made it into the living room. We had one Rattle Snake, in which that Reptile Guy, Tim, said it was probably just passing through due to the area it was in. He was gone by the time my hubby went back out. Of course when he found it he called me at work panicking on who to call and what that snake guys name and number was LOL.

I can deal with everything but spiders. I do freak out though when I see snakes and scorpions and the dogs are around...don't want them to get hurt. Just threw a scorpion outside last night. Haven't had to kill one yet...not even the one that landed on my pillow one night. Reached my hand up, it crawled on it and I thought 'SPIDER" and flung it. It landed next to the dog that always gets stung and she had that wide eyed look. Never got me though.

What's actually bugging me now are those big flies that look like mosquitos. They are all over out here...and inside the house because a dozen fly in when you open the dang door. And they fly into your face...I can deal, but any bug going in your face just sets ya off!

My wife found another copperhead in our front yard.....

Nest nearby? That's a few you've found now....

Great colors on that one though, the contrast in brown and red is great, if I didn't have kids in the house I'd say that would be a nice specimen to keep. smile.png Rat snakes, corn snakes, king snakes, and copper heads just look pretty to me. Sleek.

The reptile guy did want the snake, he had a friend of his come get it. They want to come out and go snake and lizard hunting to see what else they can find.

Grog your right, this one is a really nice specimen.

Glad they're all finding a good home! I made the mistake of showing this thread to my hubby, forgetting quite how terrified of snakes he is. Oops!

I tried to reassure him that it's because you're out in the countryside, but would you believe it 2 days later (when I'm out, of course!) he comes home and finds a snake outside the house! Typical! :lol:

We think it was a rat snake, so not too bad, but it was the 1st "remotely threatening" wildlife either of us had seen since moving here. You don't really get anything dangerous in the UK. Oh TX! :lol:

That is one thing about being a land surveyor! Back when I did property title surveys our job was to find property corners and when you think about it not many people hang around their property corners. Little human activity for years creates good homes for these guys. There was one summer I ran into at least one snake everyday at work until winter came around. I invested in a really comfortable pair of snake boots that came up to my knees and developed a keen eye for any type of movement on the ground. Oh i also carried a machete with me everywhere ha! I love the outdoors and camp anytime I get a chance, I actually camped out last night. I will let go any non venomous snakes because they help natures balance keeping down rat populations and whatnot but don't have much mercy for the others. I have a good friend that was bitten by a copperhead and a friend of my dads was bitten the other day. I DON'T like snakes so letting the non venomous ones go was a big step for me. I guess the older I get the more respect I have for nature and its beauty. That is why I love SW tanks so much because the natural beauty is endless.

Those Copperheads do have wonderful color and camouflage though. I found a mating pair of rusty gut lizards that fell in a bucket at my house and couldn't get out. They were really pretty up close too. Showed them to the family then took them in the woods and let them go. :)

Glad you are finding them! Its the ones you don't see that worry me!

Fun times are watching a water moccasin drop off a tree branch into a flat bottomed boat passing by. biggrin.png

hehehe watch a half-drunk guy bolt to the heavens. biggrin.png

I grew up in SW Louisiana, very much at home in swamps and marshes. Without a doubt, the Cotton Mouth Moccassain is the most aggressive posoinous snake in the America's. During my high shool days, hunting and fishing the Atchafalaya Basin was an important recreation. While duck hunting during the first season, a CottonMouth dropped in the flatbottomed boat between me and my best friend, John D Ritchey. John D's father was Chief of Police in Lafayette and we often would cruise in his fathers unmarked car. Well, John D blew out the bottom of the boat with two shots from his 12 gauge shotgun. As we slowly sank in 3' of water, I scholded John D for putting us in the cold water with the dead snake, 10 miles from camp.

Two hours later, both of us are on the rear sit of the 14' johnboat going full spped with 3/4 of the flat bottom boat out of the water (including two jagged hole). It was a hunt to remember.

When the snakes are poisonous, I kill them.

Patrick

I would've needed a new pair of pants if I ended up in the water in the Atchafayala. I've been fishing there multiple times when I was younger, and every time we encountered a few alligators and other not-so-friendly creatures of the swamp.