Brain Fart

subsea

I just had an awakening. If you look at the video of the 2000G Solar Fish Farm, I should be able to do this before the advent of hot weather. I attempted this last summer with small wading pools. Thermal sinks, bad idea. Actually, the idea is not bad. Because of the intense heat last summer and the small heat capacity of the system, it thermal overloaded and made a nutriant soup. But, if I use my present in ground water collection of 500G as a heat sink, I can lower heat in the fish pond or in my case, seaweed lagoon.

I am now looking for a circular above ground pool that would be 3' deep and pumps to move the water. With respect to pumps, I would use external low pressure high volumn or as a hybrid system, I would use higher pressure with eductors used in the tank. To transfer heat in this salt mixture, I would use irrigation tubbing. When, I lived in Louisiana, I used Chicot Aquifier Water at 67 degrees to cool off my reef tanks and propagation system.

Patrick

If I understand you correctly you are talking about something that we do in our business. So you want to use the 500 gallon storage tank to abosorb heat in to the ground, and you are going to be adding heating to the 500 gallon storage tank by circulating water from your lagoon tank? Is this right?

What temperature are you trying to reach in the lagoon tank? I can help you figure the BTU heat the lagoon is absorbing if you know exactly how many gallons are in it (or at least pretty close) and also the cooling capacity of the 500 gallon reservoir.

Long ago buried a 2000 gallon res in the ground to water-cool 11k watts of mh lighting for a garden. Worked pretty good but I ended up having to use a closed loop cooling system using my water well. I pumped water from the well, through a coil inside the 2000 gallon reservoir, and then warmed water was pumped back in to the head of the well, so no wasted water. The well water never mixed with the water inside the 2000 gallon reservoir and it never touched air. I'm pretty sure its illegal to pump water back down in to a well that has been exposed to air, I think that it has to be a closed loop not to break the rules.

BTW we are a wholesaler for reeflo pumps, the hammerhead pump would be perfect for that. Designed to be used with saltwater, only uses 3 amps, and can pump 6000 gallons of water per hour.

I do not care if the pool is level. It will only be set up long enough to kill grass. By the time June comes around, it will be taken down.

Patrick

If you are filling it up you may want it to be level, those cheap ponds will collapse if more weight is on one side of them. If you aren't filling it up all the way it would be fine.

I do not care if the pool is level. It will only be set up long enough to kill grass. By the time June comes around, it will be taken down.

Patrick

A Friendly warning, I had one as a kid that was not leveled. One day we noticed one edge was lifting slightly and though nothing of it. While swimming the pool finally gave and half flipped/half ripped.

It was that day that I became a surfer, shreding waves in the middle of Illinois.

• Like 1

I will not fill to the brime.

I just had another epiphany. I will but a spray fountain in the center for evaporative cooling and attempt to bring this system into the summer heat. The seaweed will be in the outer circle carried along with the current.

Patrick

Remember you can use the earth as a big old heat exchanger. You also have a natural occuring flow thru your property.

Filtration by diamtamacious earth. I like it!

Patrick

How deep is the water table there?

Beauregard Parish was the "recharge zone" of water to the Chicot Aquifier. We got aquifier water at 30'. When the driller started down with the 2" well, he hit sand at 19' and continued thru sand until he hit pea gravel at 98'. We did not even have to gravel pack the well, it was all gravel for 10'. To increase output from this well, we ran 1/2" plastic tubing and air lifted water with a 1 HP motor at the rate of 24 GPM. I had a 15' galvanized tower with a 5' deep fiberglass tank at 5' in diameter. The air lift water would come up so fast, I had to reenforce holddowns to secure cover on this tank. At 67 degrees, it was a welcome contrast to sweltering summer temperatures. We enjoyed a high dozen spring feed rivers with small mouth bass fishing. It was the only area in Louisiana with water cold enough to support small mouth bass. I really enjoyed wade fishing these slow moving streams with sandy bottoms. I have made many a family outing in this paradise of the Chicot Aquifier.

Patrick

Sorry, I met the house at Bear Creek. Water table level.

My well here at Bear Creek is 5" in diameter down 560' When the well drillers redid my well in August, the water level was down at 390'. The pump suction is at 510'. That is 120' head pressure at the pump.

Patrick

If I understand you correctly you are talking about something that we do in our business. So you want to use the 500 gallon storage tank to abosorb heat in to the ground, and you are going to be adding heating to the 500 gallon storage tank by circulating water from your lagoon tank? Is this right?

What temperature are you trying to reach in the lagoon tank? I can help you figure the BTU heat the lagoon is absorbing if you know exactly how many gallons are in it (or at least pretty close) and also the cooling capacity of the 500 gallon reservoir.

Long ago buried a 2000 gallon res in the ground to water-cool 11k watts of mh lighting for a garden. Worked pretty good but I ended up having to use a closed loop cooling system using my water well. I pumped water from the well, through a coil inside the 2000 gallon reservoir, and then warmed water was pumped back in to the head of the well, so no wasted water. The well water never mixed with the water inside the 2000 gallon reservoir and it never touched air. I'm pretty sure its illegal to pump water back down in to a well that has been exposed to air, I think that it has to be a closed loop not to break the rules.

BTW we are a wholesaler for reeflo pumps, the hammerhead pump would be perfect for that. Designed to be used with saltwater, only uses 3 amps, and can pump 6000 gallons of water per hour.

That is a slick heat transfer system that you had going for you.

While I will use geothermal, the BTU's go to water that goes to irrigation. Also, in my case, I am not concerened about recovering BTU's so my most efficiant means of heat transfer is thru evaporaative cooling. Talk to any greenhouse grower. Their profit margin is miniscule. They will not waste money.

Patrick

That is a slick heat transfer system that you had going for you.

While I will use geothermal, the BTU's go to water that goes to irrigation. Also, in my case, I am not concerened about recovering BTU's so my most efficiant means of heat transfer is thru evaporaative cooling. Talk to any greenhouse grower. Their profit margin is miniscule. They will not waste money.

Patrick

Thirty years ago when building my home in DeRidder, La, I used an earth coupled heat pump design. I modified the conceptual drawings of a geothermal scientist. He drove from Baton Rouge to Fort Polk to see what I was doing. Us country boys will survive. Instead of completing four 100' deep wells to be used as u-tube heat sinks, I used my well water distribution system. I added a solenoid relay with a ball valve to use aquifier water thru 4 ton heat pump into a containment pond. Because the heat pump heat exchanger needed to be in turbulant flow it required a flow of 10 GPM. This was more than I wanted to dedicate to heat pump operations. I added a small circulatig pump to increrase flow thru heat exchanger and reduced aquifier input from 10 to 2 GPM. Instead of a five degree change of temperture of the aquifier water increased 20 degrees in temperature from 67 to 97 degrees. This extra heating of discharge water into my pond resulted in me building a zacuzzi with the heated aquifier water before it went into my pond. The pond was in the shade and it did not seem to mind.

Patrick

After returning from my trip to Maraculture Research Lab in Corpus Christie, I will downscale all my seaweed growout tank sizes. There use of macro algae was as a vegetable filter for intensive shrimp culture effluent discharge. They produced 12 kilos of shrimp for 1 cubic meter of water. All his macro tanks were less than 3' deep and only 4' wide. He had these tanks under greenhouse shade cloth with an air header at tank bottom with two vertical loop currents. The right hand current rotated clockwise and the left hand current rotated counter clockwise. While I may end up using shade cloth, I intend to use evaporative and geothermal with my irrigation water.

The seaweed tanks that they used, were two piece bolt together plastic with a flat rubber gasket between sections. I will size an air system from Sweetwater Blowers used byAquatic EcoSystems and operate 10 of these 1000G rectangle tanks. I should have several producing seaweed by the time of the frag swap.

Patrick

Manganese is not as important as iron. Usually in our reef tanks, we have plenty of nitrate and phosphate. In some cases the macro growth rate will slow down due to lack of iron. In my 135G lagoon, I have used a substrate that is high in iron. For my seaweed growouts, I had planned on adding minerals with the food for the fish. Since the minerals would be coming in with the food for the fish, I would still qualify as an organic seaweed farmer.

Patrick