Anyone interested in a pico reef build?

Capt. Obvious

How about three?

Well then you, my friend, have come to the right place!

First, a small backstory:

I have three kids, three wonderful spoiled kids. They are all into the hobby and to be honest, are what got me involved in the hobby in the first place. Also, I maybe insane (so be prepared).

Item of note: many (all) of the photos were taken by a 7 year old little girl using an iPad. So...sorry for the quality/angle.

The challenge: setup individual pico reefs for each of my kids (ages 12, 7, 4)

The twist...

All drilled and plumbed to a common sump. :D

So let's get started!

Hardware:

Tank #1 (owner: 7 yr old daughter)

Tank - ecoxotic ecopico 5.5 gallon

Lighting - 15 watts of led (10 x 12k and 5 x 425nm)

Substrate - 5lbs #0 ultra white

Koralia nano

Livestock:

8lbs premium well aged live rock

Green banded goby

Pom-Pom crab

Emerald crab

3 cerith snails

2 nessarius snails

Approx. 15 heads of nuclear green palys

3-heads of frogspawn (won as a door prize at the feb meeting)

9 heads of a pink-ish zoa

Green Monti

Small birds nest

Single red mushroom

Electric blue clam

Pink chalase

Still need to drill this one...

Sounds like a lot, I know...but everything is tiny I promise I am not cruel

You are one awesome dad! Wonderful use of tanks as motivators for getting homework turned in!

Well, we'll see if it works...before I declare success...but here's to hoping :)

Also, being an awesome dad is starting to get super-expensive and possibly borderline certifiable

Ok, i am mildly confused by this sump.

It is divided into 3 sections (which for now will call : left, right, and center) with bubble traps between each.

Left : has a filtersock mount, so it seems apparent that this is the feed from the overflow on the display, i assume the skimmer will reside here as well.

Right: clearly a refugium as it has the highest internal baffle with a bulkhead (drain to center). HERE IS WHERE MY CONFUSION LIES. This refugium is divided into 3 sub-chambers by 2 baffles...why? I assume they are mounted high to allow for a DSB. what is the significance if each chamber? Or are they simply attempting to prevent macro and critters from clogging the refugium drain?

Center: return pump

Thoughts?

I am rather confused by the setup. When zooming into the pictures, it looks like there might be a drain at the very top of the right section, is that right? Is that the only drain? If so, my guess is that the refugium is fed water from the return, as well as the left side of the sump. The three sections may have been put in place to segregate different types of macroalgae??? Not really sure, this seems like an odd setup.

There are so many baffles in the center section it is tough to get a feel for what is going on.