Unique fuge lighting idea

Hydro

The underwater LED's that I have seen, come from fresh water ponds. They come in different colors of the sprectrun that are wonderful for special effects. I would not consider them powerful enough to grow coral or macro.

Patrick

I was tossing this idea around in my head a while back. May sound silly, but Ross has these glass vases for decor purposes that are pretty thick. They are same width from top to bottom and the bottom end has about 1"thick glass so should be enough weight to keep it from floating. I have a small fuge so would be overkill for me now though. My cheato is growing out of control though...going to have to trim it every two weeks at this rate.

One glaring problem I can see in this picture is there is visible surface area on your work bench! You clearly do not have enough projects going to keep you occupied! I'm dissapointed in you Hydro!

I like to scatter stuff across the floor too, all of it wouldn't fit on the table :)

OK back on track. I replaced the bottom and back glass of the brand new tank, that sucked. I'm a little nervous about drilling it again but I gotta do it. This time I'm going to clamp wood behind it and use a new guide, the one I'm using is worn and allows the bit to wobble a little. Eveything is siliconed including the tube and I'll give it until tomorrow to dry before trying to drill the hole again. I've read on the instructions of the silicone that it reaches maxium strength in 7 days so I'll wait that long before putting water in it.

post-1255-0-23533100-1329951119_thumb.jp

I added miracle mud to the fuge and filled it up 1/2 way to make sure my seams were good before I fill it up all the way tomorrow.

I built a small aluminum bracket to hold the light fixture over the tube but will still leave space for heat to exit. Then I cut a piece of sheetmetal the shape of the light fixture and siliconed it to the back to keep any accidentally spilled water from going inside the electrical connections. I will also be using silicone around the bulb where it meets the fixture, basically I will be using silicone to seal anywhere for water to get inside.

I thought my bulb would be here anytime now but I got an email yesterday that said it wasn't shipping out until tomorrow. sad.png

post-1255-0-75210600-1330486372_thumb.jp

post-1255-0-40669600-1330486381_thumb.jp

Silicone grease like they use for diving equipment might help also on the bulb threads.

hmmmm silicone grease, didn't know that existed. I'll check that out

The electronics people use it a lot. I think it may be called diolectric paste.