males, females, pairs, herds, what's most fun?

Teresa

Hi Everyone,

As soon as I get a second person to sign a lease at my place, I'm going to order some H. Kuda seahorses from seahorsesource.com. They are going in my 24 gallon Cardiff. I'm trying to decide if I want a male/female pair, pair of males or females, or a mini herd (3) with a combination or single gender. I'd love to hear your thoughts or experiences. BTW I am in no way interested in raising fry so that's not a factor. What I would like is a combination that will best show seahorse personalities.

Thoughts, stories and experiences welcome!

In my personal experience, all females has easily been the best and most entertaining, especially if you don't want fry. If you don't mind the hassle of fry, then a male/female pair. More than one male with a female present hasn't worked well for me in the past. This is for erectus though, not sure if kuda are different.

In my tank with all females, they will still do the courtship dances, so I'm not missing out on that. Apparently females can switch to males, at least in erectus, but so far no evidence of that in my tank. A while ago I added a male from brooks and the girls are still just as fun & interesting.

Good luck! This sounds fun!