What's wrong with my LTA?

CaptainK

About 2 weeks ago I got a green ultra long tentacle anemone. Since then, it has not moved at all but shrinks and keeps hidden during the day. At night it seems to expand. I noticed that as soon as my lights come on in the morning it quickly retracts its tentacles one by one. It's in a 20 gallon that has been running for 3 months. I am using 60w cree led lights. It is in low/moderate current in the sand bed. I do not directly feed it, but I do use brine, mysis shrimp and various coral foods. Anyone know if this is normal or why it may not be expanding to it's normal size?

could still be acclimating to your tank. Sometimes anemones just can't recover from the stress of being collected, transported, and stored. No matter how good your tank is, some anemones just give out under the pressure. Hopefully yours won't, but just keep the environment stable. You may want to lay off some of the feedings as there are some theories that feeding an acclimating anemone can harm its acclimation process. Good luck

My carpet nem did the same thing. I had to lower my photo period pretty heavily, then gradually stretch it out longer over a 3 week span. Thats seems like a lot of LED power for that tank too so it might be getting a sun tan? 24LED is supposedly the equal to a 250w MH, or so says Rapid.

Edited by DerrickH

I agree with DerrickH, sounds to me like too much light to me. Can you adjust your phot period to help it acclimate? If you try to target feed with a little mysis do the tentacles stick to the food or just let it pass?

The 60 watt LED is closer to 250 watt HQI but I have it on about 80%. I'm going to reduce the lights from 12 hours to 10 and dim the intensity a little more and see if that helps. It's a 20 high and the LTA is in the bottom left corner.