PH @8.76+...

10gReef

one of my BRS pumps doesnt seem to be performing well and i have not been dosing evenly. (BRS calc and alk) I just read on online to add vinager or lemon juice, true? how much? i have a 75g tank and about a 25g sump. can i add more of my base or acid that hasnt been dosing properly to adjust? i just did a 20% wc.

Is it your impression that the pump is malfunctioning or have you tested it?

Direct the effluent into a measuring cup/vial (instead of the tank/sump) and see if it's truly dosing incorrectly.

no i have not measured it other than comparing it to its twin. one is nearly empty an the other nearly full. the pumps and mix was installed at the same time and place at the same elevation and pump to the same hight. i have since lowered the line on the one that appears to be malfunctioning.

how did you measure the ph? If with a probe how long since you calibrated it?

+1

Even with adding lots of supplements to my tank I could never get it over 8.2. I wouldn't make any moves until you are 100% sure your getting a true PH reading, seems too high even by accident. I wouldn't do anything fast even if it is that high unless you see stress from your fish or corals. Even then I would bring it back down over 4-5 days.

What is the KH?

I checked mine last night. Was 8.2. I agree with Stephen, bring it down slowly and if your KH is high then just do some small water changes. Better to be high than to be swinging like crazy. Also, did you check it at night or with the lights on. From what I have read, the ph will fluctuate during these periods. Im no chemist though.

i have a probe on an apex, its been maybe 6months since i installed it. I will grab a test kit and see how things measure. \

thank you all for the great support and information.

That's your problem, your meter needs to be cleaned and calibrated. Just so you know those sensors should never dry out, always keep them wet. You can clean it with dishwashing soap and a tooth brush. Afterwards clean well with tapwater then calibrate. Use 2 calibration solutions, usually 10 and 7...or 10 and 4.....whatever you have. Calibrate to one...then calibrate to other....re-calibrate the first one....then check the second one again.

i have a probe on an apex, its been maybe 6months since i installed it. I will grab a test kit and see how things measure. \

thank you all for the great support and information.

That's your problem, your meter needs to be cleaned and calibrated. Just so you know those sensors should never dry out, always keep them wet. You can clean it with dishwashing soap and a tooth brush. Afterwards clean well with tapwater then calibrate. Use 2 calibration solutions, usually 10 and 7...or 10 and 4.....whatever you have. Calibrate to one...then calibrate to other....re-calibrate the first one....then check the second one again.

Thankssmile.png