New to Marine Tanks

Grog

Hello everyone,

I'm new to marine tanks. I have a few freshwater aquariums and considering starting a marine as well. I noticed this site while looking for local information and figured I'd join up. I'm really intrigued by the concept of native Texas species in a marine tank. (Micropogonias undulatus in particular.)

I plan on starting with something more common at first, and doing a bit more reading before I embark on my native tank endeavor.

*waves*

-Grog

Cool, a native SW tank! That could be a really unique system. I would expect you would need a lot of light for the anemonies found along the jetties but I would think you could bring out some really nice colors in them playing with the color temp of your lights.

I've put some more thought into this and may go with a fish-only set up. Many of the natives that I'd like in this tank have habits that may not be best suited for a reef-style tank. Eat tank mates or seriously rooting around in the rocks. I have a conceptual stocking plan, very early stages, that I've mulled over during the weekend. I'll type it up later this week and start a thread in the main forum for commentary. I'm thinking of an seascape that looks like the jetties/surf zone with granite chunks inside. Figure that heavy chunks of granite may be more stable so I don't end up with custom made 'flat fish' :D

If you need a collecting partner, I would love to go down to the coast. It is fun to seine for critters in the salt water marshes. Thirty five years ago, II mixed brackish with marine when I did a Galveston Bay Biotheme. I always focused on grass shrimp and Sailfin Green Mollies in the marsh. The inland shrimpers often catch a fish called a "Sea Robin" that is unique as a pivital species. It has a disproportionally large head and mouth, similiar to a Lion Fish. The pectorial fins are exaggeratedly large and on the bottom side of each pectoral fin are three long skinney legs for walking on the bottom. When swimming and viewed with a light behind, the pectorial fins are transluciant with subtle colors and designs. With the legs lookng like a space landing craft, I always enjoyed watching "Sea Robin" swim. On the jetties, are many anemoneas and Peppermint Shrimps. Also, during certain months, Sargassum Seaweed often has hitchhikers that are unique. I have collected Sargassum Fish in this seaweed. I once had a juvenile sppoted fish similiar to a flounder. When he was not swimming about, I often would see his outline in the coarse sand on the bottom. His eys were the only thing not obscured by the sand. It was neat watching him set motionless except for his eys scanning about for food. Large live bait shrimp also buried in the sand with eyeballs protruding out of the sand.

During this time, marine fish in the hobby were few and far between. I always remember this tank with fond memories. This theme would make an awesome display. There are many invertebrae that would not be bothered by Gulg Coast Fish. Oyster shell clusters with numerous filter feeders sweeping the water.

Go for it.

Patrick

If you need a collecting partner, I would love to go down to the coast. It is fun to seine for critters in the salt water marshes. Thirty five years ago, II mixed brackish with marine when I did a Galveston Bay Biotheme. I always focused on grass shrimp and Sailfin Green Mollies in the marsh. The inland shrimpers often catch a fish called a "Sea Robin" that is unique as a pivital species. It has a disproportionally large head and mouth, similiar to a Lion Fish. The pectorial fins are exaggeratedly large and on the bottom side of each pectoral fin are three long skinney legs for walking on the bottom. When swimming and viewed with a light behind, the pectorial fins are transluciant with subtle colors and designs. With the legs lookng like a space landing craft, I always enjoyed watching "Sea Robin" swim. On the jetties, are many anemoneas and Peppermint Shrimps. Also, during certain months, Sargassum Seaweed often has hitchhikers that are unique. I have collected Sargassum Fish in this seaweed. I once had a juvenile sppoted fish similiar to a flounder. When he was not swimming about, I often would see his outline in the coarse sand on the bottom. His eys were the only thing not obscured by the sand. It was neat watching him set motionless except for his eys scanning about for food. Large live bait shrimp also buried in the sand with eyeballs protruding out of the sand.

During this time, marine fish in the hobby were few and far between. I always remember this tank with fond memories. This theme would make an awesome display. There are many invertebrae that would not be bothered by Gulg Coast Fish. Oyster shell clusters with numerous filter feeders sweeping the water.

Go for it.

Patrick

SeaRobin_LongIslandSound1.jpgSeaRobin.JPG

Found this under "Sea Robin". Very cool!

Thanks for the warm welcome and good ideas. I've caught Sea Robins in Galveston before and totally forgot about them. They would be a cool addition to the tank. Did more reading last night too, on seagrasses. Ton of information on the web on native seagrasses. This is turning out to be an educational project but my tank size keeps growing. :D

Subsea, I may take you up on your offer for help harvesting. I'd much prefer harvesting my own specimens than buying them. Sure, I'd need a strict quarantine program but I should be doing that anyway. ;) I will definitely contact you as I get closer to setting the system up.

Grog