Juiceman

I scrolled and read a bunch, but can you save me some time and clue me in as to what brought about all this extraordinary change? I'm looking forward to seeing what you experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

I scrolled and read a bunch, but can you save me some time and clue me in as to what brought about all this extraordinary change? I'm looking forward to seeing what you experience.

My live rock and substrate is riddled with Aiptasia, Trash Palys and Gsp to the point it's killing coral and ruining my enjoyment of the hobby. I'm replacing all my rock and substrate. While the tank is empty, I'm going to make a few hardware and tank improvements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

My live rock and substrate is riddled with Aiptasia, Trash Palys and Gsp to the point it's killing coral and ruining my enjoyment of the hobby. I'm replacing all my rock and substrate. While the tank is empty, I'm going to make a few hardware and tank improvements.

Thanks. I thought I had read that,but wanted to understand. I have a very similar situation. I WILL NEVER HAVE GSP OR TRASH PALYS AGAIN. Say it with me...

• Like 1

Thanks. I thought I had read that,but wanted to understand. I have a very similar situation. I WILL NEVER HAVE GSP OR TRASH PALYS AGAIN. Say it with me...

They were cool when I didn't know how evasive they were. Never again

Giving thought to possibly changing to an external return pump when I redo everything.

Reburn has me thinking of all the things that I could fix that have been bothering me for a long time while I have the tank empty and switching out to a new stand anyway.

Noise and Heat are one of the things that bother me about my mag pumps. I would be interested in either getting 1 strong external/internal pump to take the place of the mag18 and 12, or just get a few better (quieter) pumps to replace them with.

I'm not sure what the best option is as far as return pumps are concerned and if I can even run everything off one internal pump.

The mag18 currently runs the tank and CaRX and the mag 12 currently runs the chiller and GFO

Mag pump is your only problem. They are typically loud and dump a lot of heat into the system.

I'd try running an internal DC pump, super quiet and very efficient energy wise.

You already know what I had to say about external versus internal earlier this morning.

• Like 1

Agree with ty

I run a Vectra L1 really like it. Can't comment on the longevity though. I can say Ecotech service has been good to me in the past.

Lots of people run jebao. They are cheap enough to buy 2 and always have a backup.

Either way your money and heat ahead of your mag drives. I doubt you will ever need a chiller if you ditch the mags.

Plus I do have some concerns over your chiller being outside when it's 110. I think it's going to actually heat your tank up to the point it's needed.

Either way I would stay internal.

• Like 1

Agree with ty

I run a Vectra L1 really like it. Can't comment on the longevity though. I can say Ecotech service has been good to me in the past.

Lots of people run jebao. They are cheap enough to buy 2 and always have a backup.

Either way your money and heat ahead of your mag drives. I doubt you will ever need a chiller if you ditch the mags.

Plus I do have some concerns over your chiller being outside when it's 110. I think it's going to actually heat your tank up to the point it's needed.

Either way I would stay internal.

Yeah, I need to add a fan or two in my chiller shed, it was pretty hot inside of there even when it wasn't bad outside.

I thought the same thing with the chiller being outside. It seemed like you would actually heat up your tank instead of cool it.

I think the ideal setup is have the chiller inside and let it vent its exhaust outside. The current configuration seems like it would just heat up water as it goes outside in 90 - 100 degree temperatures and then when it gets too warm in the tank, it would just run non-stop to try to cool it which is going to cost you a whole lot of electricity. Like running a window unit non-stop in the summer.

I thought the same thing with the chiller being outside. It seemed like you would actually heat up your tank instead of cool it.

I think the ideal setup is have the chiller inside and let it vent its exhaust outside. The current configuration seems like it would just heat up water as it goes outside in 90 - 100 degree temperatures and then when it gets too warm in the tank, it would just run non-stop to try to cool it which is going to cost you a whole lot of electricity. Like running a window unit non-stop in the summer.

Well.... Based on the apex data...

When I had the chiller inside it was running 3 times a day to bring the tank from a max of 80.2 down to 78.

Currently, The chiller runs twice a day to bring the tank from a peak of 80.1 down to 78. However it is not peak summer yet.

After checking the chiller house a few days ago, it was very warm inside of it vs the air around it, so I definitely think I need to add a fan or two inside the house.

I would also be curious about if the chiller would even need to run as much at all without the mags.

How would I go about routing the exhaust outside?

Build maybe a shroud around the exhaust area of your chiller and run some ducting outside? Just make sure there's not too much back pressure on the exhausted air or it'll cause the chiller to work inefficiently.

Build maybe a shroud around the exhaust area of your chiller and run some ducting outside? Just make sure there's not too much back pressure on the exhausted air or it'll cause the chiller to work inefficiently.

I'm envisioning..... So like an exhaust for a dryer that goes outside. I guess the hardest part would be making something that conforms the back of the chiller to the ducting.

How would there be back pressure and how would you ensure that didn't happen? A fan inside the ducting?

I'm envisioning..... So like an exhaust for a dryer that goes outside. I guess the hardest part would be making something that conforms the back of the chiller to the ducting.

How would there be back pressure and how would you ensure that didn't happen? A fan inside the ducting?

Yes, I would imagine the most difficult part is building a shroud that would fit nicely around your chiller exhaust. A walk around Home Depot may give you some ideas. I've seen some HVAC pieces that may work perfectly.

For backpressure, just don't try to run a line too high or too long. A fan pushing along the hot air may be helpful. I haven't built one myself so I'm just brianstorming.

I would definitely see if it's needed after mag upgrades. But if it is check out inline hydroponics fans.

Yeah, I'm looking into a good fan option for inside the Chiller house to circulate fresh air around the chiller during the days.

Someone please explain to me the Benifits and cons for Return pump pipe size?

I'm researching manifolds and return plumbing, some people use huge 1.25+ piping and valves and some use 3/4" or 1".

Does it matter and why?

Do you get better pressure/flow from one size vs another?

I was reading on reef central about how you should use 1.5" pipe to reduce friction inside the pipe. My mind can't get around how the heck that large of pipe would help with increasing flow or at least not losing as much....