Juiceman

Just a thought.. should I run the Skimmer even with the cracked impeller? It's noisy but it does work.

I'd be afraid you'd start damaging your pump housing. At that point, you might have to just buy a new pump.

That was my thought too.. The funny part is the Impeller is $109.. the pump is $175... smh

I know, I saw that too and was thinking, for just $66 more dollars, he could just get a new pump and not have to wait on a backordered impeller.

Pump is out of stock too.... :/

Yeah man. I'd definitely consider selling what you have, cutting losses and picking up a skimmer with a bit more robust pump. The no 1 complaint I constantly see about Skimz products is their rather short lived and expensive to maintain/replace pumps vs just about every other medium to top shelf skimmer in the same price range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah man. I'd definitely consider selling what you have, cutting losses and picking up a skimmer with a bit more robust pump. The no 1 complaint I constantly see about Skimz products is their rather short lived and expensive to maintain/replace pumps vs just about every other medium to top shelf skimmer in the same price range

I was just telling Ty. I couldn't fit anything else into my sump that's bigger so if have to go external.

Ah does the Skimz have a particularly friendly footprint I'm guessing? In-sump sure is more convenient I hate thinking about an external flooding

Ah does the Skimz have a particularly friendly footprint I'm guessing? In-sump sure is more convenient I hate thinking about an external flooding

What's funny is I bought it without even measuring anything... Then when I got it.... I was like oops!

It does fit, but I definitely can't get anything wider.

I'm looking about larger skimmers and running into tons of info... The larger skims externals use the same pump I broke.... So idk about that...

But I should also say that it's my fault... It's gotten snails in it at least 5-6 times and caused the pump to stop or other issues...

Just buy a whole new skimmer than Juiceman. poke.gif

Thought you pushed everything out so you have lots of room to go external now.

Just hide it like I did mine.

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Well,..... just got off the phone with BRS... it appears there won't be replacement Impellers or Pumps for my model for at least 30 days.....

New Skimmer it is... hmm.png

OK guys...... SO

I tried fitting a Reef Octopus 5000 INT skimmer last night... It was complete hell to get it in there and i have too much water in my sump for it to not overflow immediately.. so boo

I'm forced to Go external to ensure a good performance and not purchase another Skimz and risk what has already happened.

Now i'm debating to add a 1000 GPH feed pump just for the Skimmer or Get a L1 Vectra Return so that I can manifold it to run more things and maybe ditch a few pumps i'm currently using... I need Thoughts!

I've only had it running for a few weeks now but as a Vectra L1 owner I can tell you it can move plenty of water to feed a skimmer, returns and other manifolds. Now whether its worth the premium over comparable DC pumps I'm not convinced yet. I haven't found any features to be particularly useful except the feed mode. Not being able to hook it up to an apex is a bummer.

WOW!

OK so It was going to run me $1200 to purchased everything i'd need to go external.

I also contemplated purchasing a new Skimz sm201 at $441 just to get the impeller...

I took a peek at Bulk Reef Supply's return policy and it says un-used items can be returned after 30 days.. which is how long they told me until the replacement impellers would come in.

so I decided to give them a call.

I got Conner who I told my dilemma of needing a replacement impeller and that the pumps and impellers are out of stock everywhere for at least 30 days. I asked him about purchasing a new skimmer just to use the impeller and then returning it later with a new impeller. He said that wouldn't work..

He instead said he was going to go see if they had an open new SM201 that he could sell me the impeller from. After a brief hold, he came on and said he had the pump from a new SM201 in his hand and that he'd sell me the Impeller from it for the same price as the site sells it for so I wouldn't have to go through all that hassle and losing money to acquire it.

So my new impeller will be here tomorrow!

Hats off BRS!

• Like 1

He's been pretty skinny for a while and I haven't been feeding as much nori and frozen lately because of the new top and the skimmer going out this week. I don't think the stings are from a parasite or anything... I think it just happened to die next to those Torch Corals and was getting stung.

Bummer.... I blame myself.

I'll have another one day.

Aw man, sorry to hear that man. [emoji22] I'll keep an eye out for some Achilles tangs in LA this weekend if you're interested in replacing it!

Thank you, I'm good for now. Gonna let things settle and get that skimmer in here first!

Well.... The new impeller is noisy and inconsistent....

The ceramic disc sits on it different than the old one.

Maybe the pump has changed a little since I purchased the skimmer in 2012.

I'll let it "break in" Incase that's the issue, but I maybe just end up getting a new pump later down the line

Well after further inspection of the old impeller, I figured out that the actual shaft shifted and cracked. That's why it looks different. The skimmer ran through the night and got quieter as it went. Gonna have to tune it for a few days