Juiceman

I was just asking Ty why you took off your BML fixture. You not happy with LEDs?

I still have the BML fixtures. I get lots of growth. I just don't get the color I want. I've mixed and matched different color combos and spent way too much to still not get the color I'm looking for. My LPS and softies look great, several of my SPS don't look like they should/could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought you switched to Radions or Ai Sols? You still run the BMLs as supplementation? Or is it just my old man memory!

Nope. I had Evos with VHOs originally.

Then added BML. Then replaced VHO with BML super actinic, the replaced evos with full BML.

Then BML 12K and 20K. I tried a purple wave BML somewhere in there too.

Currently have 12 XB and 20K XB, and a Super Actinic all BML.

That's quite the run of LEDs there! I thought I remember something else other than BMLs up there. I just remembered it in the wrong order!

Any thought to just supplementing the BMLs with T5s? I still think T5s give the best coloration on SPS. Or maybe go MH and use the BMLs as supplemental lighting?

That's quite the run of LEDs there! I thought I remember something else other than BMLs up there. I just remembered it in the wrong order!

Any thought to just supplementing the BMLs with T5s? I still think T5s give the best coloration on SPS. Or maybe go MH and use the BMLs as supplemental lighting?

After some investigation.

2 3' ATI Dimmable T-5 Modules with bulbs will run me: $1600 or so depending on sales and where I get it from.

4 400w Halide setups with Dimmable ballasts and bulbs will run me: $1570 or so depending on sales and where I get them from.

So the deciding factor will be preference and electric bill.... [emoji33]

I'm confused you said 2 three foot ATI or 4 400w MH. Don't you mean 3 400w MH?

I have a 7' tank. It creates issues when it comes to fixture lengths.

3 Halides mounted properly don't spread well across 7'

I currently have 6' led fixtures, so I say 2 3' T-5 because there will be a few inch gap in between the fixtures at the center of the tank, I believe I'll have spill over if I get 1 3' and 1 4'

I like the MH option for less amount of bulbs to replace. Have you tried a different LED option?

Battlecorals swears by the Reefbreeder Photon LEDs, and he's a major grower of SPS for commercial purposes.

Have you seen Vietpride's tank? Artic revive LEDs supplemented by T5s... I think it'll be worth a visit to see his system. One of the best SPS setups in town. Sam runs Radions I believe and his coloration is amazing too for acros!

I like the MH option for less amount of bulbs to replace. Have you tried a different LED option?

Battlecorals swears by the Reefbreeder Photon LEDs, and he's a major grower of SPS for commercial purposes.

Have you seen Vietpride's tank? Artic revive LEDs supplemented by T5s... I think it'll be worth a visit to see his system. One of the best SPS setups in town. Sam runs Radions I believe and his coloration is amazing too for acros!

T-5 bulbs - $333 per year

Halide Bulbs - $336 per year

Hmmmm

I'm confused you said 2 three foot ATI or 4 400w MH. Don't you mean 3 400w MH?

I have a 7' tank. It creates issues when it comes to fixture lengths.

3 Halides mounted properly don't spread well across 7'

I currently have 6' led fixtures, so I say 2 3' T-5 because there will be a few inch gap in between the fixtures at the center of the tank, I believe I'll have spill over if I get 1 3' and 1 4'

Thank you sir I understand now. I was assuming a 6' tank. I apologize.

Ty is right on the arctic revives and radions either with 4-3' supplements I think will give you what your looking for.

I disagree with him on the MH statement. 4-400w is a lot of juice. The heat output is going to be insane. I would lean towards the ATI even with the increased lamp cost.

I was going for just actual number of bulbs... not cost. But if you throw in plusrite bulbs that a certain someone has been running for years.... $14/bulb....

I priced 400w 20K Radiums

T-5 bulbs - $333 per year

Halide Bulbs - $336 per year

Hmmmm

I'm sure Ty is assuming you use the pulserite lamps for your MH.

Do you think 4-400w is too much light? I feel with a 7x2x2 tank you could do 250w easily. That would take your power consumption down from 1600w to 1000w. With adjustable ballasts like the Solis Tek I am using on my new build you can adjust from 250, 250 hqi, 400, 400hqi

Do you think 4-400w is too much light? I feel with a 7x2x2 tank you could do 250w easily. That would take your power consumption down from 1600w to 1000w. With adjustable ballasts like the Solis Tek I am using on my new build you can adjust from 250, 250 hqi, 400, 400hqi

When I purchased some halides on my old 90g tank, I had a few bulbs and what not to try.

I ran 2 400w Radiums and loved how the SPS Looked and grew!

I needs new bulbs and switched to 250w 14K Plusrites with VHO supplementation. Didn't really care for the look.

I switched back to the 400 W Radiums until I switched to LEDs

I've been told that 3 Halides wouldn't spread well over my 7' tank. Never tried it though

Kinda sounds like the ATI may be the way to go.

A). They grow bad a$$ sps tanks.

B). Lower power consumption by a little.

C). Use your existing canopy.

D). Infinite bulb blending to get the color look you want.

I've been told that 3 Halides wouldn't spread well over my 7' tank. Never tried it though

Kinda sounds like the ATI may be the way to go.

A). They grow bad a$$ sps tanks.

B). Lower power consumption by a little.

C). Use your existing canopy.

D). Infinite bulb blending to get the color look you want.

No shimmer with T-5 though.... Idk if I want to give that up.

I was going for just actual number of bulbs... not cost. But if you throw in plusrite bulbs that a certain someone has been running for years.... $14/bulb....

Are yours 400w or 250w?

You can't be pleased Juiceman! [emoji4]

Go check out Ol Aggie's ATI hybrid LED/T5 fixture. Pretty much jaw dropping color on SPS and I believe you get a nice little shimmer from the LED pucks.

That's what Reef in the Sky uses..... Extra $1000 per fixture. Though...