Cleaning the glass of a used tank ???

Kaylon

Hows it going guys. was wondering if anyone new of a good way to get the glass of an older dry tank clean and reef ready. I have scrubbed it using fresh water but it is still cloudy and has hardened algae and what looks like calcium residue. It was a fresh water tank that was only half full for a long time. would appreciate any tips I am a budget reefer so I am hoping to restore this tank.

Vinegar and water mix can help remove some of that, but just be aware some of that may be permanently etched into the glass. You may have to let is soak for a good amount of time for the vinegar to break down the hardware deposits and algae...

Buy a few gallons of it as well. If these are tanks that have been sitting a while, you may need quite a bit. Also, I have one of those large electric sonic scrubber brushes. They are amazing at getting stuff off and cost about $10. I think walmart even carries them. Completely waterproof. I've scrubbed algae while siphoning in a tank a bunch of times.

ahhh yes the razor blade and scotch bright. I was using one of those soft dish sponge scrubbers but it was not up the the task. didn't want to get any micro scratches in the glass. gonna go see if I can pick up some razors and scotch pads.

scrubbed and scrubbed got most if it of just a cloudy ring around the top of the tank where the water was low for so long. I think I am gonna run a vinegar solution through the system for a day and then scrub again hopefully that does it.

Glass is scrubbed and clean a few cloudy spots that I am hoping go away once there has been water in for awhile. thank you for everybody's help. I will post pics of the tank soon just trying to get some live rock then I will have it filled.

I wish I would have seen this sooner - the mr. clean sponges are the best ever at this sort of thing. When I was selling my house my agent told me there was no way I was going to get the cloudy stains off of my glass shower door. A week later and two mr. clean sponges and she ate her words :)

I know you are not saying this, but so it is clear to any new comers reading this.

You do NOT want to use Mr Clean scrubbers in a fish tank. The chemicals can potentially stay around and kill your livestock. Don't ever use soaps, etc.

I read up on the bleach and there was very few side effects. but you have to make sure that you give the bleach plenty of time to dissipate before introducing livestock. I couldn't find an exact time line for it

If you use bleach on any fish tank stuff, you can give a little rinse with Prime or any other dechlorinator. Just to be on the safe side. I think as far as chemicals go, except for maybe vinegar, bleach is pretty safe. As long as you rinse well and don't leave chlorine traces of course! It's really great for cleaning equipment that was used to treat a sick fish

Mr. Clean Magic Erasers have no chemicals, you can use them in your tank. I have used them to clean algae off my glass with water, fish and corals in my tank and nothing suffered any ill effects. There are threads on DFWMAS and RC to support this.