My LED build in progress

Here my current LED setup I'm working on to replace my ~1300 watts of lighting I had over the old 130G(long story). The heatsink is 30"L x 10"W and I had it anodized. It will have ~90 led's total when finished and I am using the Berquist Thermal Pad's instead of the time consuming 2 part thermal epoxy and tap/drill method. I have 70 RoyalBlue,10Blue,20CoolWhite,10NeutralWhite, 4Red and 4Green led's to work with. I will use a 3:1 ratio of RB to blue/white and have 7 dimmable meanwell's to work with and 80* optic's if I need them. I purchased the Luxeon rebel ES Royal Blues and Cool Whites from StevesLed's and the rest are Cree's from RapidLed. I am still thinking of the mounting stand to build for this so it will fit over the temp 90G that will be in the hopefully temp apartment in Hutto(Gotta sell the house in Dallas)

_DSC2791.jpg

The extra's gear etc are being used on the led setup for the prop/frag tank I have going in the Austin apartment. Getting all the small kinks worked out with this one before playing with big guy. Gonna have 3 T5's in the middle of the heatsink's.

_DSC2848.jpg

_DSC2847.jpg

_DSC2843.jpg

_DSC2850.jpg

_DSC2855.jpg

_DSC2853.jpg

This is facing down in a darkened room at 70%

_DSC2836.jpg

Nice looking setup, I really liked the annodized look.

I think the color mix you have should look great. I just built an led for my wifes nano with very similar LED combos and it came out looking nice. The addition of the red and green diminish the washed out blue look of most LEDs.

90 LEDs is going to be pretty powerful. I normally hear 36 as being equavilent to a 250w halide, although that is with an all CREE set-up. Not sure of the lumen difference with the Rebels.

Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Cool...thanks. Without starting a great debate....the Luxeon Rebel's are binned out and actually spec out better than the Cree's as far as output, and do so with less fwd voltage required. Lots of light but this will give me greater control (tunability) and I will hit more of the spectrum's. Keep in mind that I ran (2) 400W MH and 6 T5's over my 130G and the ~1300W definately made a difference.

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Led's all wired up except for more green's, turned 6 of those into a pricely flash bulb while testing...whoops. doh.gif The black wiring doesn't stand out as much against the black anodized heatsink, still looking for my last driver, can't find it anywhere but doing 8 different light zones takes a lot of patience, which I don't have a lot of hence the sporadic period's I can work on this. whistle.gif Pretty crazy how some of the led placements worked out for good coverage. smile.png

_DSC5754.jpg

Here's the deep red and turquoise together, you only need a little of either of these so I put them together on the same driver. I may have to add 2 more of the turquoise or two more red led's but even if so I can still run 17 led's off of one driver.

_DSC5783.jpg

Cheers,

More work on the distribution panel at least. The VDM will be mounted on here as well with 4 CAT5 cables running to the driver's . punk.gif I now have more color spectrum's added and I'm well over 100 led's. I have cool white, neutral white, blue, royal blue, violet, turquoise, deep red and green. As mentioned above, running the deep red and turquoise together saves on adding an additional driver. Still have room for more spectrum's when available.dribble.gif

IMAG0318.jpg

Cheers,

Only gonna have 2 seperate "program's" besides a weather(storm) program. First program's priority is providing as much of the 400-700nm wavelegth as possible to the coral's, the second would be the last few hours of what looks good to me. shifty.gif Hopefully I have everything laid out well enough that what I like and the coral's like are one in the same.smile.png A lot of folk's run into issues with led's due to one of three common user error's. They either blast their tank with way too much light right off the bat, they purchased led's that lack enough of the correct spectrum's for what they are keeping, or even if they purchase a unit with adequate spectrum's, they tweek the color to what looks good to them, which in reality reduces the necessary spectrum 's that some of the coral' may need.

Cheers,

Only gonna have 2 seperate "program's" besides a weather(storm) program. First program's priority is providing as much of the 400-700nm wavelegth as possible to the coral's, the second would be the last few hours of what looks good to me. shifty.gif Hopefully I have everything laid out well enough that what I like and the coral's like are one in the same.smile.png A lot of folk's run into issues with led's due to one of three common user error's. They either blast their tank with way too much light right off the bat, they purchased led's that lack enough of the correct spectrum's for what they are keeping, or even if they purchase a unit with adequate spectrum's, they tweek the color to what looks good to them, which in reality reduces the necessary spectrum 's that some of the coral' may need.

Cheers,

I like your light priorities. Im going to have to remember that one when I finish mine. Good luck your setup is looking pretty bad ***

Cheers,

I like your light priorities. Im going to have to remember that one when I finish mine. Good luck your setup is looking pretty bad ***

Thanks....grin.png

From what Ive read, the response time on the drivers prevent the lightning feature in the apex from working. Cloud cover can be simulated (I got this to work...) but thats it. I just use 4 different ramp modes. Ramp up blue, ramp down blue, and ramp up/down white. I dont have as many colors though lol. Your right about the users just blasting the tanks with lights. I did the same thing when I got mine. Now I run my blues up to around 75% and whites never exceed 40%. Corals are much happier and sps is growing well.

• Like 1

From what Ive read, the response time on the drivers prevent the lightning feature in the apex from working. Cloud cover can be simulated (I got this to work...) but thats it. I just use 4 different ramp modes. Ramp up blue, ramp down blue, and ramp up/down white. I dont have as many colors though lol. Your right about the users just blasting the tanks with lights. I did the same thing when I got mine. Now I run my blues up to around 75% and whites never exceed 40%. Corals are much happier and sps is growing well.

Pretty sure you can do lightning with an APEX. May need to upgrade the VDM firmware or figure at worst I can figure out and build a lil' op amp circuit if need be.

This is what the profile looks like to create the below "storm"

Type: weather

Minimum Intensity: 10

Maximum Intensity: 90

Cloud Duration: 2

Cloudy Percentage: 75

Lightning Amount: 100

Lightning Interval: 90

Cheers,