Rock wall...

cMidd

Do you mean like a wall on the back of a tank? Use a tile saw to cut the rock flat and then attach using the adhesive or acrylic rods to secure the rock. Marco rocks sells some pre cut dry rocks for this purpose. You can probably get an idea of how to do it from the picture on their site.

I would recomend attaching it to egg crate with plastic tie wraps depending how big the tank is split it into 2/3 pcs. Make sure they fit then use the black pond foam sealent from home depot to fill in the gaps and make it look like 1 solid pc. You can then use 2 part epoxy and place crushed coral/sand on the foam to make it look like rock or you can add rock salt to the foam while its wet and wash the salt away after its dry so the foam has lots of nooks like real live rock. after its covered with caroline algae you will never know.

Ive seen these made with crushed coral, crushed oyster shells, argonite, and plain ole sand. Im thinking about building one of these but have yet to find any that show what they look like after being in for a year or so(covered in coraline). There was a thread on here somewhere that talked about someone that builds these cover up power heads and such, anyone have the link to it??

I used the cheap stuff several times but couldn't stand how "puffy" it was and the light color. I much prefer the pond foam and if used correctly it will hold long term, though I have not made it past 2 years with any one tank. I did create an aquapod with it that has gone from one reefer to the next over the last 3 years and I believe the wall is still in tact.

I used the black foam. My rock wall is under a weir and behind lots of rocks, so the black foam shows differently than the rocks. I tried epoxy and sand on the foam, but lots of it has come off (I have a very enthusiastic CUC). I'd recommend multiple layers of epoxy and crushed coral on the foam that remains exposed if there's a chance it won't be sitting in the light.