Best Refugium algae

Juiceman

I feel like I just got done reading this somewhere but I can't seem to find it. What is the macro that would pull the most out of the water. It seems like most people have cheato, but what about mangroves, or something else u may be using. Opinions?

Mangroves are generally used more for aesthetics than actual nutrient removal.

There is one main reason cheato is the most commonly used, although it is not the most effective. Several varieties of caulerpa grow faster and pull out more nutrients; however, the difference is minimal. The problem is, caulerpa can go sexual and release spores into the water that quickly exhaust the oxygen content, often killing the fish. Cheato does not go sexual, which is why most people use it.

There is one main reason cheato is the most commonly used, although it is not the most effective. Several varieties of caulerpa grow faster and pull out more nutrients; however, the difference is minimal. The problem is, caulerpa can go sexual and release spores into the water that quickly exhaust the oxygen content, often killing the fish. Cheato does not go sexual, which is why most people use it.

Jason,

I agree with the summation as to Chaeto being safer and it is trulely effective. The minimal nutriant uptake difference, I do not agree with. In reading a graduate paper (Univesity of Hawaii) on nitrate/phosphate uptake ratios, certain species of Caulerpa removed 200 times the ratio of phosphate to nitrate as Cheato. Again, it depends on which species of macros were used for the paper. Because of the large amounts of nutriants removed with prunning macro, I decided that it was time to grow something that I could eat instead of composting my tomatoes. I am experimenting with "Sea Chips), Caulerpa Prolifera dried and misted with olive oil and seasonings.

Try it, you'll like it.

Patrick

Jason,

I agree with the summation as to Chaeto being safer and it is trulely effective. The minimal nutriant uptake difference, I do not agree with. In reading a graduate paper (Univesity of Hawaii) on nitrate/phosphate uptake ratios, certain species of Caulerpa removed 200 times the ratio of phosphate to nitrate as Cheato. Again, it depends on which species of macros were used for the paper. Because of the large amounts of nutriants removed with prunning macro, I decided that it was time to grow something that I could eat instead of composting my tomatoes. I am experimenting with "Sea Chips), Caulerpa Prolifera dried and misted with olive oil and seasonings.

Try it, you'll like it.

Patrick

Interesting, do you happen to have a copy or link to the paper? I would like to learn more about it. I have always heard the difference was not that significant.

Personally from experience with caulerpa, I wouldn't intentionally put that stuff in a tank ever. I think the more malignant varieties are the ones that are better at removing more phosphate and nitrate. You get a refugium full of caulerpa racemosa and I can almost guarantee the tank will be void of PO4 and NO3. You'll have plenty of other problems on your hands, but no more PO4.

There are hundreds of species of Caulerpa. Each species is different. I agree with your summation of Caulerpa Racemosa.

http://live-plants.com/prolifera.htm

I have grown C. Prolifera for 10 years and have had no problems. The fish eat it faster than it grows. I can not keep it in my display tanks. Untill this last month, I have illuminated my refugiums 24 hours a day. I just did swith to 20 hours on and 4 hours off.

I'm clearly very new to this - but I was reading this article this morning regarding mangroves and thought I would share: http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/nitratecontrol/a/aa051398.htm

All my newbie books say when nitrates go up, I need to do a partial water change. I will do it again today but I'd like to someday have a better 'ecosystem' going.

Lynn,

"Dilution is the solution to pollotion" is the montra of the EPA. While partial water changes has a place in aquarium maintenance, it treats the symptons and is not the solution.

Nitrates are the end product of two seperate chemical reactions performed by bacteria that consume oxygen: ammonia to nitrite to nitrates. Denitrification is a reduction chemical reaction in which nitrate is consumed by bacteria that that live in an enviroment low or void of oxygen. In the nitrate reduction chemistry, nitrogen as a free gas is liberated from the water column. Nitrate does not seem to effect fish in high doses, but it does fuel nuisance microalgae. In the real world of the reef, if it were not for numerous herbevoirs, the barrier reefs would be covered in algae. By itself, nitrate is not the problem.

Patrick