Natural Nitrate Reduction

subsea

After reading John Tullock's book "The Natural Reef", I begin to look at reef things with a different lens. I begin to look at things from a holistic point of view. Instead of trying to tweak the symptom, I look at the health of the complete system, microcosome. Being a marine engineer, I crossed over into biology and chemistry to understand better "what and the hell is going on here". Martin Moe, PhD Marine biologist said about the hobby, "It is not rocket science, it is more complicated". During my three years in Galveston at the Texas Maritime Academy, I maintained a 55 gallon "Galveston Bay biotheme" tank. In those days, my budget was non-existant. I was attending Moody College, a branch of Texas A & M in the fall of 1971. The GI Bill paid $175 a month, not much money for the hobby. I have maintained systems for 40 years. During my last 30 years as a subsea engineer in deep water drilling, I was away from home 180 days a year. During my time away from home my tanks were in the manual mode with nothing done for them. Over a period of years, I have evolved into "the lazy reefer". If biology can do it in the tank, then I do not want extra equipment. From an engineering point of view, the more equipment the more potential for failure.

As I now see it, I use a Jaubert Plenumn with 4"-6" of crushed coral (2mm-5mm) for natural nitrate reduction in my display tank..

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/denitratorunits/Natural_Nitrate_Reduction_NNR_Filtration_Methods.htm

I also use a combination vegatable filter / mud filter in my refugium.

http://www.reefland.com/articles/rho/best-plants-and-algae-for-refugia-part-II-vegetable-filters

The depth of the Jaubert Plenumn substrate and the large grain size (2mm-5mm) extend the depth of arobic and faculative bacteria deep into the substrate. This facilitates both nitrification and denitrification. For this reason, I say that large quantities of live rock are expensive and unnessary. At the same time that the oxygen gradiant is decreasing so is the pH. While not adequate to the demands of SPS corals, the buffering of alkalinity and trace minerals occurs deep in the substrate of the Jaubert Plenumn. For the skeptics, electro chemistry moves the water through the different zones of the substrate. Every few years, it is necessary to add substrate to the sandbed as it gradually dissolves.

I especiallly like the use of the vegatable and the mud filter in the refugium. The matrix of the seaweed provides a home for many pods that uptake nutriants, reproduce food for corals and fish. When I feed heavily, there is much growth in the vegatable filter. When no one is home for extended days (28 days), the vegatable filter decreases in population and growth as it feeds the display tank. In a very unique way, this system maintains itself.

Enough of this first post.

• Like 1

. . . I begin to look at reef things with a different lens. I begin to look at things from a holistic point of view. Instead of trying to tweak the symptom, I look at the health of the complete system, microcosome. . .

When I started doing maintenance this shift to a holistic approach made a world of difference. Two things coalesced it for me. The first was meeting Bob Bowen and at Gallery of pets. I initially met Bob in 1988 but didn't talk with him much till '93/'94 when he'd been in the hobby for 15 -20 years and his perspective has helped me figure out how to cut through some of the hype that surrounds this hobby. The second was Delbeeck and Sprungs first volume of "The Reef Aquarium". Reading through their book, especially the chapter on filtration I came to realize if all these different methodologies work even though they ranged from simple systems like Lee Chin Engs pumpless and sumpless approach to Dr. Adey's rather complicated Microcosm approach then what is important is not equipment but biology and consistent maintenance.

• Like 1

I'd like to see a book written today that encompasses all the learning over the last 40 years. I see Delbeeck/Sprung mentioned everywhere and I wonder if their views have changed since their books were first written.

Although I have no reason to doubt their methods, I'm curious if they would still propose the same.

Can either of y'all sum up their method?

I'd like to see a book written today that encompasses all the learning over the last 40 years. I see Delbeeck/Sprung mentioned everywhere and I wonder if their views have changed since their books were first written.

Although I have no reason to doubt their methods, I'm curious if they would still propose the same.

Can either of y'all sum up their method?

Julian Sprung and Charles Delbrick wrote three volumns titled "The Reef Aquarium". Volumns I and II were printed 20 years ago. Volumn Three was printed in 2005 and is titled "Science, Art, and Technology.

There is no one method. If you want to know the science behind each filtration method this is the book to get. Volumn Three section on Jaubert Plenumn was the most detailed explanation of the long term results of this typs of filtration that I have seen.

Rob,

I have read all three volumns. They described the science behind the method. As scientist, they wrote about the pros and cons of each method, never endorsing one method over another. Volumn Three is the culmination of 40 years of reefkeeping. Without a doubt, these three books are the bible on reefkeeping. If I could have only one book on this hobby, it would be Volumn Three, "Science, Art, and Technology.

Patrick

PS I am working on the pictures. It may be a couple of days.

I'd like to see a book written today that encompasses all the learning over the last 40 years. . .

Excellent Idea, Delbeek and Sprung deal some with the history but a comprehensive book would be an excellent resource and probably go a long way to establishing some standards. Understanding what worked and didn't work 40 or 50 years ago and why would help a lot of hobbyest.

As far as current publications I know beside speaking engagments Delbeek occasionally writes. The most recent article I know of is in the Nov/Dec issue of "Coral" where he expressed a less than favorable opinion of the low nutrient systems some people employ currently

I met with Charles several times four years ago when I spent a summer in Hawaii and he expressed the same sentiments. As we walked around the Waikiki aquarium and he discussed the tanks, he spent a lot of time focused on the natural biology of each tank versus the equipment. It was very inspiring to see what they were able to do there with a moderate amount of equipment.

I was, though, always curious how much of his opinion was influenced by the unlimited supply of natural sea water they were able to use. The benefits of natural sea water versus the artificial water we are forced to use here are tremendous.

Without a doubt, the exchange of natural sea water (that is unpolluted) had a tremendous influence in the development of the Jaubert Plenumn. Doctor Jaubert was curator of the Moniaco (city/principality) Aquarium. Thirty years ago, it was the crown jewel of public aquaria in Europe.

Contrary to this model, I do not do partial waterchanges.

The clean up crew is of paramount importance in my reef keeping husbandry. I focus on the bottom of the food chain. Detrivores come in many shapes and sizes. I do not count hermit crabs in the detrivore crew. I rather split up their work between snails and oportunistic serpent and brittle stairs. My favorite is the micro brittle stairs.

The clean up crew is of paramount importance in my reef keeping husbandry. I focus on the bottom of the food chain. Detrivores come in many shapes and sizes. I do not count hermit crabs in the detrivore crew. I rather split up their work between snails and oportunistic serpent and brittle stairs. My favorite is the micro brittle stairs.

Why do the hermit crabs not count in the clean up crew?

As a rule, I find hermit crabs destrtuctive. They will consume a snail population. While I have used small Blue Leg Hermit and Scarlet Reef Hermit, I find smaller detrivores in the sandbed to my liking.

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/cleanupcrew.html

http://www.inlandaquatics.com/DETRITIVORES.html

http://www.dtplankton.com/articles/refugiums.html

I'm with Patrick on the hermit crab issue. I like having crabs though, in my tank that is, and use emerald crabs.

Rob, cute about having crabs. I agree with you on the Emerald Crab. I find them fasinating to watch. My 5 year old grandson was here today. We lay on our bellies and watched refugium critters with an illuminating magnifying glass. I love this hobby. It is fascinating.

Patrick

We have a couple of sally lightfoots and a lot of porcelain crabs. Both kinds are very nice. We have a bunch of hermits that eat waste and algae; by and large they don't harass anything. We also have a lot of gorilla crabs. The small ones are OK but the larger seem to have predated smaller life forms. We constantly find little ones and relocate them to the sump. We've also got some mithrax. They seem to harass the anemones by pinching them, but mostly just eat algae. Then there's a couple of what appear to be rock crabs. We have one huge one that we catch sight of every so often. Usually in the rock work. Never where there's an opportunity to snag him without dismantling half of our rockwork. I think that he's eaten a lot of our fish :(

Crabs (esp the gorilla) have eaten a number of snails. We have a lot fewer than we used to. Observed gorilla crabs going after our nassarius on multiple occasions.

Mexican red-leg hermit crabs (not Scarlets) are considered less aggressive.

I've found Black Margarita snail to be the best snails, hands-down. They can right themselves when tipped-over, the consume algae as good as any other snail, and, unlike Turbos, they are hardy. I put just 5 of these snails in my 135g tank over a year ago (only snails in the tank) and I still have 3 of them.

Because of my focus on sand bed maintenance I like Ceirith Snails. They bury in the sand bed and come out for food (detrivore not algae eater) at night. They have reproduced readily in my reef tanks.

• 1 month later...