250W MH x 2 Too much for a 55gal?

o0zarkawater

I plan on building a new canopy for my 55gal in the next couple months. My T5s are almost a year old now, and due to be changed. Rather than spending another $150+ on bulbs, I'm thinking of upgrading.

I currently have 6 x 54w T5HO and 2x75W VHO Super Actinics on the tank.

I want to keep pretty much everything from Softies, Zoas, SPS, and maybe even a clam.

Originally I was thinking about dual 150W MH HQI with 2x 48" 110W VHO Super Actinics, and 3x20W 454NM LED Panels. The LEDs are going to be a no-name eBay purchase simply for supplemental blue. I'll probably make a thread about them once I receive them. I spent less than 100$ for 3 x 20W led 454nm panels and a driver.

Being on a budget, I don't want to purchase the 150W ballasts/reflectors brand new, but cant seem to find someone selling a set. I've got a pair of 250W MH HQI for cheap and was wondering if that would be too much light for a 55gal mixed reef. It's a coralife aqualight pro that I am going to gut.

Ideally my canopy will end up looking like so

==========================110W VHO=========================

===20W.LED===1(2)50WMH ===20W.LED===1(2)50WMH===20W.LED===

==========================110W VHO=========================

Building it myself I can make sure to put plenty of flow over the bulbs/heatsinks in the canopy, so heat shouldn't be much of an issue. If it is come summertime, then I'll just buy a chiller.

So if I end up finding the 150W MH the hopeful wattage will be 300W MH (14k), with 220W Supplemental VHO Actinics, and 60W Blue LED for 580 total watts.

If I use the 250W MH I found with the same supplementals, I will end up with 780 total watts.

Is this too much for a 55gal?

Do you have a sump? The only issue I see is heat so long as you acclimate the tank to the new lighting slowly. I have zoas sitting on the sandbed directly under a 250w and some sps further up, My condy is huge and has not moved since I placed him. They are all growing and colorful. 18 inch deep tank with ~2 inch sandbed. Light is about 11 inches off the water.

iirc most MH reflectors light a 24x24 inch area so for a 48 inch tank 2 is a must. I think your idea for lighting is good.

With all that said. 2 150s should be just fine.

Just my noob opinion. lol

I have a 2x250W MH + 2x VHO fixture that I am about to sell. Lumatek digital ballasts and the fixture has lots of cooling fins on it so it is very good at dissipating heat.

It isn't overly sexy, but it works! PM me for more details.

Sorry, I already have a set of 250s. The only thing at this point I need to buy would be 150s if someone has a set for cheap.

I would be weary of making the change for a couple of reasons.

First, I do not know that I would consider changing from the T5s to the MHs an upgrade. 6 T5s with good reflectors should be more than enough light for the tank. With T5s you also have the ability to choose bulbs that fit your preference of light color with more options than MHs. Additionally, as mentioned above, the T5s will run significantly cooler than the MH set up and will use less electricity. If you run the MH set up, you may need to purchase a chiller, adding significant costs.

Second, unless you plan to grow SPS on the bottom of the tank in the shade, your new lighting set up seems to me that it will provide far too much light. The tank is only 18" deep, so you don't need that much power to light the entire tank. If you really wanted to go MH, I might consider sticking just the 2 halides on there and putting 20k bulbs in. Otherwise, I think you will stand a pretty good chance of bleaching a lot of your corals, especially non-sps.

Frankly, I think your money would be better spent elsewhere on the tank because the lighting change will likely not be overly beneficial and will have many more drawbacks than advantages.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

For that size tank I'd have to agree that (2)250MH are probably overkill. You'd definitely face heat issues and you'd probably sunburn most of what you have in there. I know that my 150mh over my 34g solana is causing heat issues. I'd stick with the T5s and save up for an LED upgrade later on.