Controversial "Dead Rock"

PatrickS

I have tried a bunch of different sands and crushed corals throughout the years and this is, by far, my favorite and the only thing I use now.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=CS0020&child=CS0050&utm_source=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_content=PST2-CS0050

What do you think looks best? Go with that. There's no way you're going to get any kind of consensus on this one and the article Callahan posted makes a very good point, at the pH marine tanks run at there is very little any of the calciferous substrates add to the water.

What do you think looks best? Go with that.

That is my advice as well. There are so many factors to a fish tank that there is no right or wrong choice for substrate, rock, filtration, etc. That being said, you should choose the features you want in a tank and cater the rest of the equipment and inhabitants around your "must haves".

If you like fine sand, you will probably want low flow. If you want bare bottom you probably want higher flow. Larger substrate, no sand sifters, small substrate, stars, cucs, gobis, etc. If you want to start with live rock, be prepared for hitch-hikers. If you start with dry rock, expect a longer startup time.

Same goes for equipment. You don't need a skimmer or filter if you are willing to do daily water changes. Fish only tank?, HOB or canister filter will work. Corals, you will need light and flow. Do you want to create the full biotope of a reef tank or do you want to keep a rather sterile tank with mechanical and UV filtration?

We all have our favorite methods. In the end you will have to choose the one that works for the tank you are keeping.

PROF.. i got a BIOCUBE 29 on Black Friday.. so things have changed a little for me.. well, tank just got a little big.. and better lights to start with :)

but i will be needing to get with you for some of your rock.. when you have time..

i do want a small substarte for gobies and sand dwells.. but i am thinking the sugar sand would be better for sand dwellers.. BUT maybe the Next Size up would work also.. at least i think so?

My Yasha Goby & Pistol really seemed to dig the caribsea pink Fuji sand (bad pun intended!) :lol:

It's quite fine and a v light color (nearly white) with larger purple/pink bits in it -I think they're crushed shells(?) The pistol likes to collect up the purple bits and use them to close up gaps in the rock.

I have an inch or so in a 20g with an mp10 on the back wall at around 50%. It took some adjustments before I finally found a spot where it didn't disturb the sand, but now it's perfect. Hope that helps! :)

(Oh my votes for dry rock too! It looks so pretty!) ;)

You might want to read the below article. Bottom line, aragonite does nothing for your tank:

Aquarium Chemistry: Calcite, Aragonite, Limestone, and More

While the article on chemistry is technically correct, the supposition that the pH in the substrate is the same as the water column is incorrect. If you read technical reviews on how deep sand beds and Jaubert Plenumns work, there is a direct correlation with decreased oxygen and decreased pH as measurements are made down into the sandbed. Over time, the 6" sandbed will be reduced to 4". Those minerals are going into the water column as part of the buffer system. Aragonite does plenty for the reef tanks that I have maintained for the last 30 years. It is true that this process does not work well for SPS dominated tanks. Some of the dogma that is floating around in articles that claim to be scientific, excuse the pun, I take with a grain of sand.

Patick