Hanging Lights / Canopy - How did you do it?

Juiceman

I'm switching to a 7' tank here soon and the price of a canopy for that is crazy!

So i'm looking into alternatives for my lighting.

I'll have 3-4 Halides and 4-6 VHOs for actinics and some leds for moonlighting.

I would like to build a simple hanging retrofit frame to hang over the top, but i'm not familiar with what I would need to do it.

Can anyone who has hung their lights not in a pre-purchased fixture tell me how you did it, and what you used to do it?

Thanks!

I work at a metal fab shop and my tank stand and canopy are all made from 1 1/2 X1 1/2 Aluminum angle and a 1/8" almuminum skin covering the canopy and 1/8 smoked glass coving the stand in tracks so it can slide open. It holds 2 400watt MH 2 48" t5's and 40ish blue cheep moonlight leds. In the works are 2 27" long Led heat sinks made to hold 48 led's each but im starting with 60 30 white and 30 royal blue and going to adjust the color after. The tank is a 60X20X20 110 gal.

As far as how to make canopy its basicly up to you there are so many ways so many materials but if you do hot have the equipment to do it right by the time you buy the tools and all the materials its probly cheeper to talk to one of the somewhat local shops that do that kind of stuff like epic reef <i have never used them> Unless you like to do it your self then the cost of the tools is simply the cost of your entertainment.

I am sure if you were to google or search youtube you would find more DIY hoods then you could ever stand to look at lol.

I have found tons on DIY canopies and hoods, less about how people hung them or mounted them. And I don't have any tools for cutting so I would be have to have someone/someplace else cut everything for me. So I need to have all of my measurements and plans in a row.