Moving coral from problem tank into new tank

KimP

I have recently bought a new-to-me established tank. I'm still having the algae problems in my 47g and now am also in middle of a flatworm outbreak and dinos in there (fun times =/ ) I would like to attempt to save some of the struggling coral from the 47 and move it into the new tank, but I don't want to transfer any of the problems, especially the dinos.

Any recommendations for dips/treatments for the coral I want to transfer, or is this just a bad idea?

Besides dipping obviously, if you have a lot of algae on the colonies you might try breaking off the affected areas or what I use is a toothbrush or a flate blade screwdriver to scrape the affected areas, a butter knife or spoon would probably work also. I rinse the corals off in some tank water real well after doing this then toss the water. it's screwy but a lot of the times algae problems don't transfer with live rock or coral colonies but the risk of transfering the problem always gives me pause and I'll only save what is fairly valuable.

Thanks for the reply. Those are good ideas for the algae. Any advice on the flatworms and dinos? I've read of people using flatworm exit as a dip. My main concern are the dinos. They can sure take down coral fast. I'd hate to spread those.

To be honest I'm pretty ignorant about dinoflagellate pests of corals, can't say I've had problems that could be attributed to them. I would think dipping your corals will keep themfrom being transferred but I haven't looked into it. I did do a quick search and found this article that might help (if you haven't already seen it) on Advanced Aquarist: http://www.advanceda...ssons-i-learned

Peroxide for the algae. It works wonders on almost all types of algae. Mix 50/50 tank water and 3% H2O2. Put the coral frags in there for about 5 minutes. It will kill most flatworms, pest nudibranches, and almost all algae with a single dip. Most corals are safe to dip except soft coral like xenia, leathers, etc.

Here's a good thread on it: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=268706

I don't like to make claims that there are miracle cures, but this stuff comes pretty close.