Hello! New to the site.

Darla.LaTour

Hi, everyone. We moved to Del Valle a few months ago. During the tank move, I lost my three large triggers that I had kept for between 4 and 6 years each (Pink tail, Humu, and Niger). It was my first time moving a tank, and I'm not really sure what went wrong. I'm fairly devastated, but am now cycling my 210 (just to be safe) and will get the water params correct, even though I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it yet. Definitely an "aggressive", and probably eel, puffer, and trigger tank. My 14g biocube has been running but empty for about 8 months, since I lost my Peacock Mantis in a molt. Haven't decided if I want to try again with a mantis. That's my second one, both lost during molts. I just purchased a few mushrooms and a Kenya frag from Aquadome a few days ago, along with a new actinic for the bio, and will be seeing how they thrive before adding more (palys, zoas, and mushrooms). The guy that helped me was awesome (even when I started crying seeing his fat and healthy Niger!) and let me know that I could keep some corals with the stock lighting, which I was skeptical about before. The only corals I've ever had came attached to liverock from Tampa Bay Saltwater, so I'm really new to corals. If anyone has inexpensive yet colorful frags that would thrive under stock lighting in a 14g biocube, let me know! I have about 10 years accumulated "experience" (trying not to kill things). I manage a hotel in the Arboretum. I have 3 teenagers and a 2 year old (Husband upgrade. har dee har har). I have 2 Brazilian Mastiffs (Filas) as well.

I look forward to buying, selling, and learning with you!

Darla

Welcome! While you can't keep most sps corals under biocube stock lighting, you can keep a nice variety of lps. Things that I have kept in my stock biocube with success are hammer, frogspawn, blastos, duncans, leathers, candycanes, and even a healthy open brain coral. Just to name a few. All nice and brightly colored things. On this site you will find a lot of corals sold at reasonable prices as well as a lot of helpful people. Good luck

Thank you, Robb and Kim. I miss my three amigos! They begged for food like dogs and were always watching us as much as we watched them!

Aqua Girl - Thank you for the info! I admit I'm very surprised at the growing list of corals that will thrive in these stock lights! The bubble coral that Aqua Dome has in its tank is MASSIVE - lol. And beautiful. I will be getting some new rock from TBS soon, and it always has so much life on it- we'll see what turns up. I may have a Mantis whether I choose to or not! grin.png

Edited by Darla.LaTour